Joel Quarrington

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by olps, Aug 7, 2002.

1. olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Just saw him perform a few days ago. This guy is brilliant; this cat has some chops. I can't even begin to explain how amazing that performance was. Everything he played was either meant for violin or viola da gamba. Just beautiful, flowing, and smooth. This guy is definitely worth checking out.

P.S. Tunes in fifths too.:eek:
  2. I agree whith you. Get a look on this solo album.

Bottessini vol 1 very inexpensive on naxos
    All the song is very well interpreted personaly ifind it beter than meyer
    Virtuoso reality
    Contain the grand dou concerto compare to the version of meyer and give me new.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

He was one of the early pros on TalkBass!
  4. Joel is a total freak on the bass. He is also an amazing Radio Shack hockey player. The bassists for the TSO play a lot of RC hockey. When I was at McGill U, all of the bassist played RC hockey. When Joel would come to town we'd go out for a few pints and then challenge him to a game. Joel was the bass coach for the National Youth Orchestra. Every year they would have a RC hockey tournament.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    When the heck is Naxos going to do Volume 2?????
  6. i have volume 1 as well... its amazing to listen to. it inspires me to go and practice. but then i want to listen to it some more.

im thinking of going to canada on exchange for a month, does joel teach at any of the universities in canada?
  7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Joel is on faculty at the Royal Conseratory of Music, but he does not teach at any of the major universities (UoT, McGill.) He has done masterclasses in many other schools, though, including Curtis.
  8. Vol 1. doesn't have the Gran DOU CONCERTO. I know the album Grand Duo Concertante has it allong with the 'Gran Concerto in F# minor'. But this doen't feature Joel Quarrington.
    I have Bottesini Vol 1 (music for DB and Piano) featuring Joel
    Vol 3 by done by the London symphony
    Vol 4 (carnival of venice and other works for db)
    Grand Duo Concertante
    I want vol 2 witch (i have been told) has all 3 of Bottesini's concerto's for bass and orchestras
  9. CallumJennings

Oct 17, 2009
    I don't know if you will see this but Quarrington's first CD, Virtuoso Reality has the Bottesini Gran Duo on it. You can find it on Naxos Online.

That's a good CD but his new CD is GREAT! GardenScene on Analekta. Featuring Gliere Four Pieces, Weinberg Solo Sonata and J.C. Bach concerto. For more info visit his wesite:
  10. All but one bassist played that stupid hockey game on my bass amp's shipping crate. Becuase I sucked at it!

Take care Rat Boy,