Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joel Smith Question

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by soholounge, Oct 31, 2004.

1. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
    Joel Smith is amazing.
    I'm floored everytime I listen to Kim Burrell...
    i was wondering if anybody knew what bass he played on those albums? either studio or live?
    probably his F Bass, but I was wondering if anybody has seen him live, etc.
    or anybody know him from the Jazz School in the bay area?

it's been a long time since someone's sound/playing has moved me this much~!

2. scraig

scraig

Apr 15, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    And it is amazing he is from a Pentecostal church in California. I do know he played for CLC Youth Choir - I have some of the CD's They seem to produce some great bass players in that area.

3. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I saw him with DFW Mass Chior in the spring of 2000

4. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
    do you remember what kind of bass he was playing?

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Sorry to bump an old thread... but, is there any more info on Joel that TB'ers would care to share?

6. yogooch

yogooch

Feb 21, 2004
    I'm proud to say that Joel is now an MTD 635 player! I had the pleasure of introducing Joel to Mike Tobias myself, and Mike made him a beautiful ash bass with a maple neck 6 string. He is also Epifani endorsee. He is still one of the most incredible bassists ever! MTD4LYFE!!!

7. Kephah

Kephah

Oct 1, 2006
    M-I-Z-Z-O-U !
    I thought it was Tommy Brown that did all the bass on the CLC Youth Choir albums-I know it was Tommy on Live...In the Spirit. Just wondering too??

8. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Joel is the man! He played on the Agape project here in NJ last year. I was told by a friend he had a Smith. It's cats like Joel and Terrance Palmer that keep me chasing this bass thing!