Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joel Xavier info

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jason Carota, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    While improving my remote control technique, I happend upon a Portuguese TV station with an amazing band. I'm not too sure what the name of the band was, but the (incredible) guitarist's name was Joel Xavier, and the title of the live performance was something to the effect of "Caribbean Groove." The stye of music centered around jazz (with a heavy Latin feel,) and blues.

I tried searching many online CD retailers (including Audiophile Imports) and various other sites for any information about this group, but could not find anything apart from some biographical information on Joel Xavier.

Any TB'ers know of any CD releases from this group?

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Well, you made me curious, so I did some searches. The best I have been able to come up with is that there indeed is a Portuguese jazz guitarist named Joel Xavier. He played at the Primeiro Festival de Blues do Castelo in Lisbon, Portugal on Thursday, August 8, 2002.

Regrettably, I have been unable to locate the name of his band. My usual source of info, "allmusicguide.com," lists a Joel Xavier, but I doubt he is the same. This one does mixes of trance music and one of his most recent mixes was of smooth jazz compilation.

I'm going to search further to see if I can find out more for you.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Further research turned up the fact that Joey de Francesco, a highly regarded jazz orgainist, who has a trio that tours extensively in the U.S. played with Joel Xavier at the aforementioned blues festival in Lisbon. Maybe you can find out some information from him...I know that is a longshot.

Your other bet would be to call or write to the Portuguese TV station to see if they have more information. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Well, I was able to find out some more info about this group. It seems Joel Xavier has a CD out on Alia Discos entitled "Latin Groove." There is no name for the band, just Joel Xavier.

I found this review of the CD from Primeirasedicoes (loosely translated via Google -- scroll about half-way down the page):

The same site also mentions a previous album which featured (along with the previously mentioned Paquito D'Rivera): Larry Coryell, Arturo Sandoval, and Michel Camilo.

I guess now I have to find a U.S. distributor for Alia Discos.

Thanks for you help, Boplicity.

5. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    stumbled onto a gorgeous 2005 duo recording by Joel Xavier on nylon string guitar and Ron Carter on acoustic double-bass, called "In New York". is on Spotify, iTunes, Amazon. Mellow bossa flavored stuff, very open sound, very acoustic.