Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joemeek 3Q for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jgsbass, Jul 28, 2005.

1. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Anyone out there with any experience with this unit as a standalone preamp for bass?

2. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I have a VC3Q & I like it. I've been recording w/it. Also great to mike a guitar cab for more harmonics & run 2 signals out of the back. Not sure if that's true stereo but you have 2 of the same signal to pan & play with. Also have run it in front of Fender Harvard2 SS amp to warm it up.

3. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    FedEx delivered my 3Q and so far so good. I used it as a front end and used the power from my SWR350x on a gig last night. Warmer than the SWR pre but it still has glassy highs in there when pushed. It sounded thicker, which is what I wanted. Also recorded a saxophone track and a synth track with it and both turned out pretty good. Next gig, I'm using the 3Q with that Carver I found.

4. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Last night I took the Joemeek to a gig. 10 piece clubdate, no PA support. Joemeek 3Q into one channel of a Carver M 1.5t power amp feeding a SWR Goliath III jr. Lots of compliments, even from the non tech heads who didn't notice a change in equipment. To me the difference was, it sounded like playing through big studio monitors, with some of the excess highs being absorbed by the room. Fat and clean with gobs of headroom. There were highs when I slapped or popped, but the high end sizzle was not overpresent in the regular sound.It didn't have the shrill mids and highs that my Ampeg B2R has or the lack of thickness that my SWR 350x sadly has.So far I'm as pleased as I was 30 years ago when I had my SVT.