Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JoeMeek C2???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jon R, May 23, 2002.

1. I'm thinking of getting a top shelf compressor to add to my rack... I'm not into a million buttons, knobs, and unwanted effects, but I think a good compressor could be a real plus.

Would the JoeMeek C2 fit the bill? Would I be better off with a different compressor? Should I even bother (my sound is quite good now)?

2. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    If I were looking for an outboard compressor, I would get a dbx 160 without hesitation. They are smooth, easy to operate and leave few artifacts in your sound. It does take a bit of getting used to, though. Can't give any opinions on the Joe Meek, never used one. A compressor is definitely a good thing for a bass player to have.

3. Thanks for the info... but what brand is a dbx 160 :oops: ? Is it a pedal or rack unit? Approximate $$$$?

Again, thanks!

4. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Its made by dbx and is a 1 space rack mount, with only 3 knobs. It is a tad pricey, last time I checked they were going at about $350 to $400 dollars new. But its pricey for a reason: its a great compressor. I used one for a while and it was as close to perfect as I could want. I bought my Trace preamp which has a great compressor, tailored for bass, so I didn't need it and put it in my PA rack. Great on vocals, too!.

5. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    I used to run a C2. Great comp. Very transparent. You can get major squash with no hissing or churning to speak of. Very easy to use as well. Try the DBX before you buy one.

6. Most users with Joe Meek have said it is not transparent but does sound good with bass.

For around or under $200 (US) I'd check out the FMR RNC Compressor. It is totally transparent, versatile, simple to use, exceptional S/N. A lot of pro-recording folks and forums swear by it. I'm very happy with mine. Do a web search as you have to buy direct....I think. It's 1/3rd rack space.

7. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Forgot about that one. Yes they are Really Nice Compressors! Good call.

8. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    I saw a compressor called the "really nice compressor" at a recording session recentley. I did'nt get around to trying it out. Is that the one you're talking about? The sound eng. said it compared to $2000 units.

9. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Yes. The RNC stands for "Really Nice Compressor". And it really is.

10. Yes, that's the one! FMR RNC

11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    You got one more vote for the FMR Audio RNC from me.