1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Joe's getting NERVEous. Please advise.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Saga continues after bass is received - post #19. Wut would you do? Joe'd like to know.

I'm not a big fan of Ebay, but every now and then something comes up that I can't say no to. Last week it was this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150294116348&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

I paid for it immediately and sent a message to the guy stating I was happy to be the winner, could he please let me know when it would be shipped. No response. OK. Not worried. Early today my paypal money cleared, I sent him another message telling him the money cleared and asking when he planned to ship it - and I still get no response. I'm a little worried now. Anything else I ever bought the seller immediately acknoleged my messages, and I haven't heard anything yet.

Is this common, like will this guy probably simply contact me when he ships it, or do I have reason to start being concerned? If I still don't get a response tomorrow I plan to let him know that I'm beginning to get a little nervous here.

Thoughts? Advice? Will I be protected by Paypal and Ebay if this guy completely flakes? Thanks.

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    His feedback looks good- all positive, some recent, and some with bass guitar stuff- so I'm betting he's legit. He says he's moving to Hawaii, so he's probably just mentally occupied with that more than with communication on the auction. Give him another couple of days. Paypal may protect you if your address is confirmed with them, and if you go through their claims process and jump through their hoops. I just got a full refund through them from a seller who flaked, but the money didn't return to my hands until a month after the auction ended.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, 100% positive on 58 transactions. You should be OK.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Still, he should be responding to your emails.

I always ask the seller how long it takes for them to ship the item before I buy something.

5. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Some ebayers don't know how to communicate or just plain don't do it. If their feedback is all positive, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

6. +1 You're cool.

7. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Still haven't heard anything so I just sent him a message telling hiim I'm becoming concerned. How long does one generally wait before becoming TRULY concerned? My message this time was a pretty clear request for some sort of response.

8. Maybe try messaging him through both ebay and paypal. If the email addresses for the accounts are different, maybe he is no longer using one and didn't update one of the accounts with the new address.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've always gotten a response within 1 day of winning something. After 2-3 days, I would become annoyed.

10. Use the built in messaging system in "my ebay", and give the dude a cpl o days slack, maybe he's away during the weeks for work or sumfin ..

You are safe no matter what, should this dude be a scam (ebay account-napping), paypal will refund 100% ...

D.Don

11. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Yeah - annoyed is a good description for what I'm feelin. Still no response. If I don't hear anything tomorrow I'm going to go from annoyed to pissed.

I'm going to do my best to assume he's tied up with things or away, but that's still pretty irresponsible if you know you just sold something. He knew his bidding was over on the 19th.

12. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Burns me right up... Especially since it's the weekend coming up. If I can't ship the same or next day, I let them know when it's going out. Makes the whole thing go smoother.

I usually don't buy on ebay if it's something I need right away but when you're looking at waiting a week and a half or more that's just uncalled for... Hope you get it soon. :meh:

13. If you dont't get any response this weekend, you should most probably send him a message asking if he is serious about this and that you prefer to hear from him before reporting to paypal, using the internal ebay pm system..

D.Don

14. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Just got this message.

Dear joenerve,

I am truely sorry for the delaid response! my account shows that your payment went through today! I will write you later with a tracking num! and will ship asap! again, Sorry to make you worry!

So I'm hoping all's good. I read all the ebay and paypal security stuff and it seems as though I'd have been covered regardless. I think I was bumming more actually over the fact that I might mot get the bass, than over the $300. They don't make them any more and the 5 strings are getting harder and harder to come by. That is absolutely the best price I've seen on one also. I scored - if I ever get it. :)

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I would feel a lot better at this point.

16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Should be cool now.

And I'm jealous!! :p I've really dig the Pace 4 string that my friend Todd (77jazz) picked up. I've been thinking I should get a 5 string if I can find one ever. Guess I need to start watching Ebay a little closer.:meh:

17. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    If I like the 5 I'm going to be selling the 4, but I'm also going to be asking $300. I think I paid somewhere around 6 for it if I remember correctly.

The tracking number is valid, bass should be here wednesday.

18. For future reference, some people just don't get the whole "communication thing" after an auction ends. This often includes BOTH sellers and ebuyers. There is one tool I didn't see mentioned here and that it the ability to request the seller's "real" contact info. This should list his or her physical address as well as a working phone number. I have had to use this tool on a couple of occasions and in one case everything was on the level, and the other one the number was dis-connected, and had to file the "no item received" process.

Good luck to you, and hopefully you will be playing a new bass soon:hyper:

19. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    My saga here is sort of continuing... never had any issues before with ebay.

I received the bass. It was listed as "new", I knew it wasn't but didn't care - and I found upon receiving it that it has a pretty solid 2" crack in the paint at the bottom of the back of the neck. Doesn't effect the playability, and it's not noticable accept for being able to feel it bigtime. :/ For the money I'm still happy, but I feel it was misrepresented... anyhow... I was just going to leave good feedback and be done with it, but now I get this message today:

Dear joenerve,

have you not recieved your bass? I show that it was recieved! I would like to have the pending status on the check lifted! Thanks for your time

***!?? Paypal said it cleared supposedly 2 days before HE said they told him it cleared, and now it sounds like he's getting slightly huffy over something I don't even understand. The money has been taken out of my account, and my paypal says it cleared.

What would you do for feedback with this guy? He's at 100% except for the fact that he's been annoying me since the start of all this.

20. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The deal is Paypal has a new policy where they won't release funds to Ebay sellers with less than 100 feedbacks for 21 days after the transaction. He has less than 100 feedbacks. Tell him to ask Paypal about their policies, it's nothing to do with you and not under your control.

For feedback, remember Ebay has a new policy that sellers can't leave customers anything but a positive feedback. Sure his pos. fdbk for you may have negative text in it, but it won't count as anything but a positive in your record. So I would wait a bit longer until the dust has settled, and leave a calm accurate description of what did and didn't work out in that deal. Something like "rec'd item but not in condition advertised, slow communication".