Joey Arkenstat??....Help me out here folks!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mtb63, Feb 22, 2003.

1. mtb63

Sep 16, 2002
    I recently purchased the DVD Rising Low... and, while thoroughly enjoying all the much deserved bassist praise and adulation, I couldn't help thinking..."Who the hell is Joey Arkenstat, and why are all these heavy hitters in the bass world worshipping him? Then, about a week ago a friend of mine informed me that this Arkenstat guy was put in there as a joke! He's not even really a bass player. If this is true, it's a classic case of "The Emporers New Clothes".

Help me out here, I'd love to know the whole story.

"Bass is the Cake, the rest is all frosting" - Me.
  2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    It's a joke......and I think it's a waste of time they could have used interviewing a real bassist:confused:
    bassbrad and JimK like this.
  3. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I think it's a pretty good gag and from what i understand of woody's sense of humor, he would of thought so too! Just read a Gov't Mule Roseland ballrom concert review that listed Joey as a guest bassist!
  4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    it's pretty funny if not clearly a joke. i was hella confused.
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    This reminds me of a radio interview we did, and I said that my main influence was Lame Jaguar Mellowmint, an old blues legend. I must have gotten about 15 emails asking me where his music could be purchased! :D
    bassbrad likes this.
  6. Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    I borrowed the DVD from a friend and wondered the same thing - "Who the hell is Joey Arkenstat?".

After thinking about it you never see him really play anything.

Must be a joke...
  7. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Resurrecting an old thread...

I was just trying to figure this out myself, when I came across a review at where the reviewer said that Arkenstat was credited with being the bassist for "Dominion Hinny." That cleared it up for me somewhat, as a hinny is the female version of a mule. Dominion, of course, is more or less a synonym for government, so there you go.

Apparently they also did a show somewhere where Arkenstat came on at midnight, either wasted or acting wasted, and had to get help plugging in his bass. Then there was a little feedback and he proceeded to smash his bass and act like he was going to attack Warren Haynes. Then Greg Rzab came on and they went back to playing music.
  8. wagdog

Mar 20, 2000
    Cold and dark
    I ran into Mike Gordon a while ago and mentioned to him that he fooled me with the Joey character and he replied "Yeah, he fooled me too."
  9. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002

If he was just a "joke" that is TOO FUNNY... When I bought the DVD i was impressing my gf with how much I knew about all of the bass players until it got to Joey...;) :D :p
  10. fghjbnkm

fghjbnkm Commercial User

Dec 21, 2015
    Yes their is such an individual...He is out there in the jazz world. I do mean OUT THERE. SHANE MARIO