Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

joey arkenstat?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gribuski, Oct 20, 2002.

1. gribuski

gribuski

Aug 7, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    so, i bought "rising low" this weekend, and highly reccomend it. the fact that they got that many of the biggest bassists is unbelievable. victor wooten's absence is conspicuous though.

anyway, at one point, everyone talks about how big of an influence joey arkenstat was on them. i'm pretty knowledgeable about bassist history (or whatever you call it), and i have no earthly idea who he is. i'd never even heard his name before. man, is he a trip though. he's crazy i think...maybe burnt out, i don't know.

anyway, if anyone knows who he is, and how he influenced everybody, please help me out.

btw, isn't larry graham hilarious. i cant watch him without laughing.

2. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I think that he (Joey Arkenstat) is supposed to be a joke, made-up, not real. Just look at the way everyone talks about him. Mike Gordon is know for his off-the-wall humor and I think this is a good example of it. I actually did not find Larry Graham that funny, but Mike Watt cracks me up to no end. When he talks about playing with his 'flipper' technique, I was rollin on the floor! WAY too much pot man...I also thought Entwhistle was hilarious, mainly because I can't understand a damn thing he says the whole time. Anyway, GREAT DVD, A++++

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Mike Watt could be Chong's twin. Great video though...and yes, Arkenstet is a joke.

4. gribuski

gribuski

Aug 7, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    oh...my bad :p . i didnt even think of that. i'm a big phish fan, and they've done joke stuff like that before. i dont know why that thought didnt occur to me. oops. i guess that explains the whole flea story doesnt it.

has anybody read his book of short poems and stories, "mike's corner."? it is truly bizarre. he doesnt think like a normal human being. and he wears ridiculous shoes.

oh, the larry graham thing. his whole image is what cracks me up. the suit and the white bass and all. then the thing with the feedback. and the funk. its just weird seeing that stuff come from him. i've got this (crappy) instruction video with him, and a bunch of other bassists, and he's playing and talking about how he started to slap. its great.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I know the Joey Arkenstat is a joke.....you can tell when they show him playing, his fingers are no where near what your hearing.........but I would like to know who played the basslines that are going behind him........some badass playing going on:)

6. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I like the DVD, too, even though I couldn't figure out if the Arkenstat schtik was real or not. A good movie even though there is too much Mike Gordon And His Sophomoric Humor and too little of the other bass players.