Joey DeMaio

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by thebug, Apr 28, 2002.

1. I was just listening to some old Manowar cd's :eek: and I listend to Joey DeMaio in perticular for some time. IMO he is quite an awesome bassplayer, he really has his own sound and he cuts through the rest of the band like butter. What do you guys think of his playing? sure Manowar isn't the most inteligent type of music around, and their image is a bit overdone :D , but what do you think of him as a bassplayer?
  2. I just found this pic of Joey, what kinda bass is he playing? looks like a Rick?
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I don't know their output that well, but I remember hearing a live solo (Flight of the Bumble Bee?) that was incredibly fast - and incredibly sloppy.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY

He uses a Rick with VERY light strings and I think Marshalls (guitar) ??? He also plays with a pick, thumbs down, although, they are the loudest band you will EVER see live. They are on tour in the states here with Immortal (black metal) and my friend is their promoter. I will find out more on what he is using these days for equip soon, BTW, Matt Garrison kicks his ass silly...

5. Manowar are definately louder than hell!, can't wait for there new album (27 may, Warriors Of The World....) hopefully it will be as good as the Triumph Of Steel or Kings Of metal....

btw. Manowar touring with Immortal :eek: heavy!
  6. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    check out ....there is some info on his bass in that site somewhere. I believe he only uses the picalo (spell check please) strings for solos and overdubs on recordings. He uses a lighter gauge "standard" string for normal playing though. As far as his amps....I think thay are all custom made so it's hard to say if they are more guitar or bass......or both. I like his tone and I think his soloing is great even if it is a tad sloppy and he uses a pick:mad: :D
  7. His basses are modified rickenbacher design the strings are borderline between guitar/bass strings the spacing on the neck is similar to a guitar talented but not a traditonal player