Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joey Demao of Manowar

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Jul 30, 2005.

1. :bassist: any Man O War fans out there?

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I remember a Di Mayo thread that went horribly wrong, and for the sake of this thread I will not post any further comment :D

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    They're the loudest band ever recorded right?

4. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    deppends on how loud you turn up your cd player...

but they are supposed to be the loudest live band yes...

5. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I thought that was Motörhead...? But I've never heard anything from Manowar. Who do they sound like? Any listening reccomendations?

Graeme

6. Yes they were in the Guinness Book of World Records in the late 80's. There newer stuff is pretty good but alot of their earlier stuff was better. Check out "Battle Hymns" to hear their fist album then look into "Louder Then Hell" to hear some of the latest stuff. Good metal if your into metal.

7. I liked the "HAIL TO ENGLAND" lp, but haven't heard much of them...

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's funny that they really did go out of their way to be as loud as they are. They really are a phenomenal pack of musicians too, everyone is very "over the top" talented. And home to some of the greatest metal videos ever. Anyone remeber the "blow your speakers" video? SoooOOooooo 80s.

9. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    There outfits crack me up....But it's cool he played a Rick.

10. They sooooooo ripped those loinclothes offa me! :spit:

11. His Rickenbacker is a modified one.

I thing he is using very thin strings (light gauge, maybe guitar strings) but I'm not sure.

I've also read that he was using the strings upside down (I mean GDAE instead of EADG) I'm not sure about it and it seems that it's mostly wrong. Could someone please enligthen us.

I remember seeing him in his live video that the strings were covering almost half of the fretboard (leaving the other half empty, I mean all four strings were grouped where there should normally be D and G string, where there were no strings where there should normally be the E and A strings) with very narrow string spacing. Is it really so or do I recall it wrong.

12. Joey DeMaio used to live around the corner from me and I used to see him jogging around the neighborhood from time to time...They had a rehearsal studio in town and I know some friends and such that were in some of the early videos.

Their music is pretty cool and rockin' and I definitely recommend it to us MetalHeads out there. Bigger in Europe than in the States largely for the reason that we (in the states) get rather closed-minded when it comes to music and appreciation (who's better than who, etc.). Shoot, look at the Japanese culture; they go see Britney Spears on Monday night following the Metallica show they saw Sunday night...

I definitely recommend giving them a listen and using your ears. Make sure you check out "Black Arrows" and "William Tell"

13. Im a Manowar fan since their first album in '82. I never in my life saw a video of theirs except for Hell ON Earth numbers one and two. Thay were really concert footage and some interview stuff. Blow your speakers is a great F***ing tune and I would love to see that video. I was listening to "Louder Than Hell" today on my drive to work.

14. Achilles agony and ecstasy in 8 parts was pretty cool, as was power of my sword. I remember getting that tape with black arrows and hail to england with that song bridge of death on there. Was pretty good until my dad heard those yahoos praising satan and promptly destroyed the tape. A little over the top on the dedication to the unholy one, but other than that, they were pretty good rockers. Some stuff really sucks, so it's buyer beware.

15. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Yup, it all comes from his training as a classical violinist. He wanted his Ric to be more violin like. It has a custom neck that is thinner than a regular Ric neck.

16. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    yeah they're my fave band, a band with great morals who will never screw over their fans.

he's the one time fastest bassist in the world (tho i think people who tap are cheating to get faster)

he's the loudest musician in history and probably forever, 130.7 db!!!

he's a shred demon and has an incredible knack for creating great rockin heavy metal tunes and epic metal tunes too.

a massive influence to many metal bands of the 90's and nowadays, and very well respected by many mega famous bands like metallica (james hetfield once cried when backstage listening to nessun dorma.

they get a lot of stick for their outfits even tho they havn't worn said attire in nearly 20 years

over bands play manowar kill

17. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Is joe demaio talented?

Give me some songs to check out!

The songs i've heard is mostly root..

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Listen to his version of Flight of the Bumblebee... very... very... very fast.

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    oops, something that would help, I think his version is listed as "Sting of the Bumblebee" instead of "Flight." I tried to find it a while back and had no luck, but later found out it was "Sting"

20. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Wow, he's tapping right?

If he's playing that with his fingers...