Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joey DiMaio´s bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by glover, Sep 13, 2000.

1. glover

glover

Jul 3, 2000
    What bass does Manowar bassist Joey DiMaio play? It looks like a custom built instrument. It´s shaped like a Rick 4001 but has a way thinner neck with what looks like four guitar strings placed closely together. Maybee it´s some kind of baritone guitar played through lots of EQ.
    Anyone?

2. Joey's Rickenbacker has been heavily modified. The nut and bridge were modified to place four strings on the treble side of the neck at approximately guitar string spacing. They are very light guage strings, but are still tuned to regular EADG pitch. I'm not sure about what was done to the electronics in it, but you can rest assured that it's not original. He plays it with a pick and uses an overdriven sound so it has a more guitar-like tonality. I don't think the body and neck are any different from a stock Rick, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were custom scalloped. Basically, he started with a Rickenbacker and modified it to suit his needs.

3. glover

glover

Jul 3, 2000
    Yes I have seen that old one. But, on tour last year I saw him playing one with a very thin neck, obviously suited to his "guitar" like stringspacing. It seemed to have a really weak neck ´cause when he did some jumps and stuff like that you could clearly hear the pitch changing. Almost like a whammy bar... And he played it fast (but sloppy).

4. glover

glover

Jul 3, 2000
  5. Well, yeah. That thing is obviously a custom built instrument. I don't know who made it. If you're _really_ interested, I could ask him about it for you. Just let me know. Or you could just email him at FrontRow@manowar.org and ask about it.

6. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Sure we're interested. Post his response here.

7. Well, I asked Joey about it and sorry, but he wouldn't talk about it. He just feels it's a waste of time to sit around discussing people's gear and playing styles and all that. So, I guess we'll all just have to speculate about Joey's mysterious bass. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.