Joey Spampinato

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by icebox, Jul 27, 2016.

1. icebox

icebox

Jul 16, 2009
    Calgary
    . Anyone else love this guy as much I do? NRBQ has to be my all time fav band. And joeys' work with Keith Richards is killer too!

2. Freddy-G.

Freddy-G. take your protein pills & put your helmet on Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Duluth, Georgia
    The band I was in at the time opened for them back in the 90's at the Variety Playhouse in Atlanta. I remember being impressed with the tone from Joey's Danelectro DC bass. The vibe during their set was way cool. I became an immediate fan!

dcbluesbass likes this.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    He's largely unknown since he's done almost nothing outside of 40 years with NRBQ and that band only has a cult audience. I love his playing, seen him live many times, played some shows on the bill with his current Spaminato Bros. band. Also a fantastic singer and songwriter.

Also note drummer Tommy Ardolino (RIP) who drives the backbeat relentlessly...a major signature of all NRBQ songs.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    dcbluesbass and bobyoung53 like this.
  4. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Winter Park, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    One of my biggest inspirations as a bassist. For those who don't know, Joey's been going through a battle with cancer:

NRBQ bass player Joey Spampinato battling cancer - The Boston Globe

My Uncle, who introduced me to the music of NRBQ, is friends with the Spaminato brothers, as well as Terry and Tom Staley. Besides being a wonderful musician, Joey is an incredibly kind and genuine person.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    dcbluesbass likes this.
  5. MrBassman17

MrBassman17

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    Spent many late nights at New Yourk's (now defunct) My Fathers Place with the 'Q'! Joey is one of my bass heroes!

dcbluesbass likes this.
  6. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    Yeah, Joey is a favorite. I'm glad I got to catch NRBQ in a small club once. He's one of the main reasons I wanted a Danelectro. It was cool that Keith Richards picked him as the bassist for Chuck Berry's "Hail Hail Rock and Roll" project. In fact Joey said Keith came to check him out in a club, and if the rest of the house band hadn't already been picked, he would have just hired NRBQ.

7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

16-Aug-48
    Spampinato is born:

8. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Excuse me for bringing this golden oldie back. But you gotta watch this. Keith Richards on hiring Joey to play behind Chuck Berry. "He can play like a bass player, not like a bass guitar player."

dcbluesbass and bobyoung53 like this.

9. Joey did an excellent job in that band, did those upright parts perfect with his muted Danelectro and SVT as did Steve Jordan, excellent drummer who knew not only how to rock but how to roll. Not many drummers can play that Chuck Berry stuff correctly, most play it too straight.
    I just read a book about that whole thing, Chuck was a REAL PITA, it's hinted at in the original video but man he was bad. Still one of my all time heroes though as is Keith.

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  10. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    He was tailor made for that part...and a vocalist as well. Not to mention no ego trip and an easy going personality. Keith and Chuck hit the jackpot with Joey.

11. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Big Joey fan here. The reason I got my Jerry Jones. I try and play like him (his upright vibe) any time it fits! One thing I can't cop like he does, is sometimes he gets almost a rockabilly slap sound. It's not typical bass guitar slapping/popping--he's doing something different technique-wise to get that 'billy sound. Very cool.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021