Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Johannes Kohr basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by 2shute, Aug 24, 2005.

1. 2shute

2shute

Aug 22, 2005
    Sarepta, Louisiana
    I'm being told that the Johannes Kohr basses and Christopher basses are the same except for final assembly and setup work done stateside. One Kohr dealer has told me that the Kohr is "an upgraded Christopher". Their hybrid models are in my price range, and I live off in the boonies where it will be hard for me to play before I buy. I'd appreciate any insight anyone has.
    Thanks. :help:

2. MarkRubin

MarkRubin F L T

Mar 14, 2005
    Austin TX
    So who told you that?
    I'd be suprised to learn that, but either way Christopher basses tend to be a great value for the money.

3. 2shute

2shute

Aug 22, 2005
    Sarepta, Louisiana
    Steve Weiss from Alabama told me that yesterday. He says he's been a Kohr dealer for nearly 20 years, but has only recently begun to offer their line of string basses.

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
  5. 2shute

2shute

Aug 22, 2005
    Sarepta, Louisiana
    Prices are similar. I have found out that The Concord International Group of Elk Grove, IL is the importer of the Christopher basses. Howard Core, LLC of Anniston, AL (howardcore.com) is a distributor for Concord who takes the Christopher basses, sets them up and sells them under the Johannes Kohr name. Steve Weiss is a Kohr dealer in the Mobile, AL area. His # is 800.235.5672. He can supply more info about prices.

6. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    i own a kohr hybrid and it's amazing for the price. i get nothing but compliments on how big and warm it sounds. definitely a great bass for the money.

7. MarkRubin

MarkRubin F L T

Mar 14, 2005
    Austin TX
    I don't know who would say that or why but it is untrue. The Howard Core "Johannes Kohr" model K50 is a European made, fully laminate bass that lists for $3300.00. It is NOT a Concord product.

This isn't the first time I've heard of some other brand bass being presented as a Chritopher. Here in TX, we see lots of awful basses with Kinko's provided Christopher labels.

Caveat emptor!

8. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I wouldn't be surprised if Howard Core OEM'ed basses from various sources and relabeled them as Johannes Kohr. His line of basses probably come from both China (lower end) and Europe (higher end). I don't think he's the first to do this since Eastman apparently does the same in terms of selling both Chinese and European basses as part of their line.

9. Classical Bass

Classical Bass Guest

Jul 7, 2005
    South Georgia
    I have a Howard Core K52Q - it's a Strunal hybrid. It is absolutely beautiful. Sounds great. Everyone who sees it is impressed. :hyper:

10. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    THis totally makes wonder if there's a select number of Chinese builders who build the same basses... they get imported by various companies like Strunal, Christopher, Eastman, Kohr, etc. etc. and then someone slaps their own label on them. I'm sure certain models vary from company to company, but could they all be build by the same chinese luthiers? Very interesting...

11. Classical Bass

Classical Bass Guest

Jul 7, 2005
    South Georgia
    My bass has a Strunal label and a Howard Core label. It is advertised as being from the Czeck Republic. I have corresponded with Strunal and received info on my bass.

12. sonen

sonen

Aug 29, 2005
    Do any of you guys have any experience with the Kohr K-64? Is this a quality bass? How does it compare to other basses in its category? What is a good price to pay?

Thanks in advance,
    sonen

13. Classical Bass

Classical Bass Guest

Jul 7, 2005
    South Georgia
    I did not get to try the K64, but tried the K65. It was easy to play, but did not have much volume. The one I got, K52Q, out performed it. Notes sustained longer -- stayed true to tone as it sustained, etc.

14. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    the k-64 is the bass i own. once i put lower tension strings on it, it opened up in terms of tone and volume. it is quite loud and very warm. it may not be as loud as some, but it strikes a good balance. it also records extremely well.

15. A friend of mine had a new Christoper hybrid...the Busetto. Another friend who owns a music store ordered a Kohr Busetto for a customer. I looked at both on the same day. Exactly the same bass. Same: machines, lower grade ebony FB, adjustable bridge (those black metal ones with the notches) ebonized tail piece. black metal TP wire, good upper grade end-pin with screw-off tip. Those strings that i've mentioned many times before, that are surprisingly good for both pizz and arco. Both basses sounded really good.
    Only diff to my eye was the label Kohr ( for Howard Core i'm assuming) The other labeled Christopher. Only other difference being the figure of the wood.
    What do you think?
    Oh. I don't know anything about the model numbers, and, the price on both basses was
    $2500.

16. sonen

sonen

Aug 29, 2005
    OK...I am getting a bit confused here. Am I correct in saying the general opinion of this board is that the K64 is a good/great bass for the price? Does it matter if Kohr and Chrisopher are the same company? Could it be a similar scenaro to the Honda Passport and Isuzu Rodeo? Aren't they the exact same car with slightly different
    suspensions?

Anyway...I have been given the oportunity to purchase a Kohr K-64 locally from a reputable guy (he's 1st chair bass in the Symphony) who personally set it up, put better strings on it, and will throw in a cheapy bow and bag for under $2000. The bass doesn't have a scratch on it. It's only 6 weeks old.

Would I be crazy not to jump on this?

17. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
  18. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm gonna say what I've been saying all along. That all those companies that import basses sometimes buy from the same Chinese builders. They probably all have the finishing done in China as well (like mine - lacquered), unless it's a special order Matte finish or in white or something. I'm willing to bet that my Busetto is identical to those bases you saw too. IMO, I think this thing about Kohr being a higher level of bass than Chrissy is probably just "spin". They're all great basses for the $$$. And if it's a bogus Chrissy or what not, hopefully the buyers ears can tell the difference.

This is a guess but I wouldn't be surprised if these basses come from the Xuechang Sun workshop or a related workshop. Why? Xuechang Sun is located in Bejing (where my Chrissy is from). Two different resellers here in the bay area (thestringbass.com and acousticbassshop.com), both sell not only Christophers, but also Xuechang Sun basses (some go under the name "Symphonica"). It would be easy for these resellers to acquire Xuechang Sun basses through the same channels that they got those "Christopher" basses from. Knowing that Xuechang Sun basses tend to be of a higher level of quality, perhaps they allowed the lesser basses to be sold under a different moniker so that they'd sell easier with a more "western" name. Meanwhile, they still would put their original chinese name behind products that they're really proud about. Anyways, that's my theory.

EDIT: I searched for the terms '"Xuechang Sun" workshop' on google and came up with links that's posted in this post. One thing of note though: one of the search results in "Double bass by Xuechang Sun in Beijing China". Clicking on it results in a page from thestringbass.com showing a bass listed as a "Christopher Workshop DB 503". Coinkydink? I think not.

19. I have seen and heard and played both the all plywood Christopher and the all plywood Johannes Kohr. These are not the same maker with a different label to my eye. The Kohr was not finished as well as the Chris and it had exterior linings. It sounded good, though;- with surprising projection and tone and played easy as well. Owner said he got it for $1600. Great sound for the price. The Christopher also played very easy and had a great sound for a plywood bass. You just have to play and hear the basses and evaluate them individually, but IMO, the Chris looked a little more carefully made.

20. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    SS, you must know that one shop can make different basses for different customers. The JK bass is thebrand name of basses that the Howard Core company sells. i buy supplies from Core and i can tell you that those basses can either be extremely inexpensive or very expensive. Core's base model carved flatback price would surprise you...but i cannot divulge that information.