Johannes Kohr K61

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Doc Slow, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Doc Slow

Doc Slow

Jul 21, 2004
    from all over..
  2. The Kohr basses I've known are actually Christophers....They come, as far as I know with that German spelling for Core. AKA Howard Core Music. Do a search on Christopher and yes they are GREAT sounding and playing laminate basses with the top of the line trim. ( end-pin, FB, adjusters and in my opinion, those Chinese strings are really good for both pizz. and arco) Usually, the FB needs a little work for minor buzzes.
    The only negative issue is that too shiny, obnoxiouis spray varnish.
    Word was going around that you could order these with a matte finish....don't know if that is true though.
  3. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    OBNOXIOUIS indeed. I saw one at Gage's last June, varnish had some muddy greenish overtones... yuck! Don't know weither it was original from the factory or a subsequent attempt to shade down the orange glow. Anyho the doublephatthang :D (perdoname Paulo) sounded good.
  4. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    What's wrong with hi-gloss lacquer?? ;)

Christopher DOES now offer matte finishes, so I would think Core might have a few by now -- or could certainly get you one. The matte finishes have a very nice, warm appearance.
  5. GOOD!!
  6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    That looks like the Christpoher that I had. It was a good bass, although I didn't play it a whole lot before I sold it.
  7. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I have a K64 carved top and LOVE it. I've had it since December, and even through the season changes from winter/spring/summer, here in the south of all places, it's been one of the most stable and best sounding instruments I've ever played. I put Obligatos on it when I bought it, and it has a deep, rich tone. A lot of people think it is a lot older & more expensive than it is. Kohr is a great bass!
  8. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Brent, will you do a Cherry Sunburst on those ?
  9. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    If the price is right, Don...