Johanness Kühr - Does anyone know anything about this maker

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by noelpaz, Jun 23, 2005.

1. I know I could probably ask a luthier but probably Robertsons will charge me $40 just for asking. It says Johannes Kühr on the label inside inside the bass,plus Bayerische which would be Bavaria, southern West Germany - 1978. I got it from a friend and I was wondering if it is even worth to get it in shape. It is a plywood bass, I think.

So if anybody has a luthier list book, please let me know about them.

Thanks in advance
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    If it's a 30 year old ply that's still in good shape (as in not distorted in shape), it's probably worth at least getting it running enough to mess around with.

Take it to your luthier and get a final opinion, of course.
  3. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Today, Johannes Köhr is the brand name for instruments from Howard Core [I should say distributed by Howard Core - just about all of their instruments are made by other shops/makers, and simply re-branded], a stringed instrument and accessory wholesaler. They've been in business since '76 or '77, so there's a chance that's essentially what you bass is - a rebranded German factory ply from Core.

I agree with Ray - there's no reason not to at least have a pro look at it.
  4. Just talked with a retired luthier from Robertsons here in Albuquerque and he will be looking at my bass next week. He works out of his home and is affordable and very knowledgeable. Supposedly these basses were the most expensive plywood basses in Kohr line if that means anything. The original owner paid 1800 back in 1980. Must be my lucky week as my friend is sending me a bridge blank, unused pirastros and a pickup/pre amp combo.

I use to have a Thibouville when I was in college. Sold it when I decided to live overseas. Did not really pay much for it and did not know they were very good basses --- oh well!

Yes the bass is actually not bad. It sounds decent and projects. With new strings and some work on it - it should be okay.

Is it true that a good plywood bass is good for jazz? JUst heard that recently.
  5. The Kohr labeled basses i've seen are actually Christophers.
    Howard Cores attempt at being German.
  6. I am out of the loop so I don't what Christoper's are. Are you saying that the label in this bass is fake and it is not actually made in Germany.
  7. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Christophers are made in Bejing, China.
  8. No. Most of the better jazz players demand the sound that a carved bass provides in terms of sustain, response and lower end growl. That's not to say that there aren't some laminated basses out there that are capable of doing that in the hands of a fine player.
    Some more traditional jazz players who aren't looking for lots of sustain and growl....some that want gut strings and a shorter sound, do fine with a laminated bass.
    Players like Slam Stewart and Chubby Jackson played laminates, but more times than not, more modern players want a carved bass. IMO.
  9. Okay,

I found the skinny on my bass. The luthier (Heinz Rossner) thinks it is a Czech Amati factory bass or East German relabled Kohr. He said in 1978, the Chinese weren't making basses for Kohr. The bass bridge is cracked and there are openings in th top and in the bottom. Fretboard is good and the bridge is good quality as well as the tuners. Ebony fretboard as well. It needs work but he will do it for a good price as long as I wait till he finishes the pre school instrument repairs. It does sound better than a local school's Engelhardts and I haven't even change the strings plus the crack and openings issue are there. I would imagine that this would be a good bass once he does all the repairs.

After playing it amplified -- my only complaint was a twangy G. The neck plays rather well.
  10. Too bad you couldn't have them put on a fingerboard. Those frets are gonna get in your way and make a hell of a noise.

Just kidding. :D
  11. Now Paul, how many times do we have to tell you not to feed the animals... :D
  12. All right go easy on me -- I play drums and saxophone also and raising kids so I am on the cheapo side these days. My college post/college bass was a Thibouville and I sold it when I went overseas. Although out of the DB for a long time, I know what sound I am looking for. Just trying to make the best of what's on hand. I do have a good bow which I kept when I sold my bass.
  13. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    I think he was making fun of your referance to the FINGERboard as a frettboard.

14. What can I do? My dyslexia is not just limited to switching letters but even similar terms.