John Alderete??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Ric, Jul 3, 2002.

1. I just listened to the bass solo of this guy
    in Racer X's live album, and WOW!!!!
    Think he's quite cool. Fancy techniques he's got.
    Is there somebody else who likes this guy??
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i used to be into racer x's stuff bigtime - we used to play scarrified when i was in college. he's pretty cool - interesting note choices sometimes, but his stuff back then was pretty sloppy too, listening to it now.

still, though, they were pretty cool.
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have a video by John that I haven't watched in about 10 years....but I remember him being a real good player! Racer X got back together last year after a long layoff...
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, he did a video? i'd dig seeing that.
  5. bassduder

Jul 30, 2001
    Canada, GF-W
    im assuming Ric your talking about Scit Scat Wah...very nice solos, although I don't think he was THAT sloppy JT :D Overall he was good player, and if you haven't already Ric, check out his solo on Scarified...very weird fingerings!
  6. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    That's my Jazz bass!!! :eek: At least it looks exactly like it. :D My bass teacher wasn't kidding.

I've heard two songs by Racer X (a live recording of John soloing and a live version of "She Want's Control"). My bass teacher put them on a mix he gave me to practice as two of five songs "to study". (included in those songs was stuff from Berlin, Hamm and Dream Theater) The solo is awesome. Very fast.
  7. bassduder

Jul 30, 2001
    Canada, GF-W
    Are you serious serge316 that that's your bass, I also have the same coloured Jazz bass?

8. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    John is a VERY good player. I have that same video somewhere too..

Hey john, at the end of it, it has him, Bruce, Scott Travis and someother guy playing Scarrified! IT RULES!!!(Even though Paul isn't in it :( )
  9. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Did you ever play Skit Skat Wah?

My brother has a live cd of Racer X. Can't think of the name of it. But, it's a pretty good Cd. You are correct about John being sloppy.
  10. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Huh, my music teacher was waaaay into Racer X back in the day as well. Weird!

"John" Alderete is now the bassplayer for The Mars Volta. Hmm, may have to check them out eventually. My buddy said they killed APC chops wise when he saw them.
  11. Superheroes is my FAVORITE Racer X CD.

Also, check out the "story of Evil Joe" on their website...hilarious!
  12. Check out the MARS VOLTA LIVE ep... his playing is really good!!!... great jams!!!
  13. Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    I was a big racer x fan, and still am. I think Paul is one of the coolest guitarists ever, talent wise and sense of humor/personality wise. John Aldrete was the first bassist I really heard playing real technical thing in the context of songs. I remember hearing Billy Sheehan , and he did some cool harmony things with Paul Gilbert in Mr. Big. But by and large, most of the real flashy stuff Billy did was just during a live solo or something. John Aldrete was doing super wild stuff within the songs themselves! Racer X ruled, I think Street Lethal is one of my ten favorite albums ever! :bassist: