Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John and Johnny

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by godoze, Jan 13, 2005.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    The best part of being a mere mortal is knowing that you can never know or hear everything and this makes a new discovery that much more rewarding...

I just last week picked up John Coltrane and Johnny Hartmann....

Wow...

Garrison does a nice job too...heck ,they all do !

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Johnny Hartman makes the women's clothes fall off.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The implication being that immortal God(s) have very dull and boring lives!! ;)

But rather than making a new discovery more rewarding, isn't this just the simple fact that makes it possible for you make any discovery? And so, more rewarding than .....what? :confused:

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    And to think we actually fought (and won) a war to seperate ourselves from your country.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But you still use our language......just about!! ;)

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Please tell me you already have a copy of the BALLADS recording....

If you're looking for another nice Hartman recording, I recommend I JUST STOPPED BY TO SAY HELLO. It's a different animal than the Trane thang, but bad in its own right. Jim Hall, Illinois Jaquet, Hank Jones, among others...

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

no...

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Tho that and Trane and Duke are on my list...

Thanks for the Johnny suggestion.

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    If you dug the J & J, you'll dig the BALLADS record - TOO YOUNG TO GO STEADY, ALL OR NOTHING AT ALL (the definitive arrangement for small band {although I dig Billie's too}),YOU SAY YOU CARE- great ****ing record.

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    JC is so lyrical on this. Nice solo on "Autumn Leaves"

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Autumn Serenade? Unless you got some kinda weird compilation....

12. TRUE

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

Mea culpa...

14. Seems an unlikely pairing to me. Love Hartmann, IMO he's in the league with Sinatra and Bennett.