John Bonham and drumming

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lovebown, Jun 9, 2001.

1. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Man. John Bonham is amazing. Took me awhile to realize this but today when i sat down at my drum set and listened to Led zep trying to play along I was amazed on how he dances on the kickdrum constantly. He's almost always playing it syncopated and its mostly thanks to his wicked bassdrum technique.

*sigh* My foot can't handle the speed :(

2. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Absolutely! 'Good times bad times' for one...

I have seen a TV recording of one of Zeppelins early gigs, before they hit it big. It was from Danish Television I think, from right after the first album. The band on the floor in a studio with a small audience (30-40 people in a sort of bewildered amazement) in a semi-circle around. To see Bonham in that early setting, young and intense, beating the hell out of that drumkit with extreme power and precision... it's just incredible. Especially on 'Dazed and Confused'. And a huge clam on 'How many more times' :).

Helluva drummer...
  3. It could be worse...I still feel a twinge of apprehension when I try to pick out JPJ's basslines.Just the other day I was listening to Black Dog and was reminded of the screwed up timing during the main riff.I know that bass part by heart but still feel insecure when that messed up timing comes around.The weird thing is it's quite subtle and it still throws me off.That rhythm section did alot of "subtle" things that are still cool to this day.
  4. How about the huge drum solo during Moby Dick...I'm actually talking about the one he plays in The Song Remains The
  5. I still haven't seen that movie yet...guess I'll have to wait 'til it comes out on DVD.
  6. I was watching it on DVD this afternoon, I'm a huge Led Zeppelin fan, but I just didn't like it that much. Oh well, at least the music was cool.
  7. At least I know now it's on DVD.I've never seen them so this will have to do.Cool I'll have my friends get that for me on my B-day(plus a DVD player).

The last band I was in the drummer was a huge Bonham fan(that was the main reason he passed the audition.)
  8. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've always been a John Bonham fan. As a bass player, I've almost come to the point where I judge drummers on how much they can lay that SOLID, "Bonham" groove down.

If they can't, I could care less what else they're capable of. In a similar thread about "flashy" bass players, I find that reason I play bass at all is because I absolutely love that solid foundation in a rhythm section. I love to be in a "supportive" role...because I feel that while the "lead" players are playing on top of the rhythm section, the drummer and I are the ones who are "leading" the way. And any drummer capable of that Bonhamesque playing is exactly what I look for.
  9. My philosphy too;that's why I've never really desired to solo or deviate too far from my rhythm duties.It's definitely my definition of "leading." Without a solid foundation the other members don't have two legs to stand on.
  10. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    You got that right Willie.

I'm not knockin' any bass player who wants to do the "lead/solo" thing...but sometimes less is more. I'd rather play (and listen) to a really great groove over and over 'til it just about has me in that low frequency trance...than I would to listen to some fast and furious "leads" in the upper register of the bass, no matter how flawlessly performed.

My feeling is, don't play something unless the song calls for it...if whatever you are playing takes the attention from the song and puts it on you...then you are definitely on an ego matter how good you are.