Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Cleese lectures at Cornell

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JMX, Mar 31, 2003.

1. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/03/29/cleese.ap/index.html

Boy, I wish I could attend that.
    I recall that some people here go to Cornell, maybe they can report (if they can get to see this)?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Read about that JMX and really envy anyone who can attend - two comic geniuses at work.

Fields was one of my "gods" who put out such quotes as;

- "Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water."

- "Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

Cleese and the "dead parrot" are right up there, in my mind, too.

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I wish my school did that!

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I wonder if Cleese will go out doing his funny walk?:D

Eric Idle was in the States recently too. I think he has a new novel out.

5. Cleese lectures at least once a year here. I'd go, but I have enormous amounts of reading and writing to do. :(

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Peter

I heard that cornell has the highest suicide rate among private university;s is their any truth to this.

7. No, it's a myth. MIT takes the cake, by far. Cornell is just more notorious because lots of upstate New Yorkers use its abundance of gorges, and the bridges over them, for the purposes of suicide. Very few Cornell students actually off themselves; most of those who do are East Asian nationals (not Asian-Americans) who have "shamed" themselves or their families by poor academic performance. If the gorges weren't there, they'd just hang themselves like their counterparts at suicide factories like MIT and University of Chicago.

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    ...and that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is a buzzkill.
    :eek: :(
    Whoa! Way to kill the mood of a thread!