1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

John Davis Of Nerve

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Embryodead, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    Someone had posted a video of Jojo Mayer with his band Nerve.

I love this guys synth tone, was wondering if anyone knows what gear he uses and what you guys think of him.

2. I've talked to JoJo before, via email, about bass effects for drum and bass. JoJo knows this genre of music in and out. From what he has said, most of the research about convincing bass synth reproduction was done by him.

He stated each bass player has different setups which yield similiar sounds but he suggested starting with a Boss OC2 and a some type of filter box (such as a moogerfooger low pass filter). He didn't give any concrete setups as 90% of it is just expirementation.

I really like John Davis but JoJo has a habit of attracting some REALLY fantastic bassists for this style of music..

3. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    it sounds like a synth followed by some sort of wah.....

4. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    A synth is a square wave with a wah-type sweep.

JoJo was probably talking about how many bassists will use an Octave>Fuzz>Filter as a jerry-rigged synth sound. Gets pretty damn close, and sounds awesome.