1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

John East MMSR Preamp Sounds?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by luke_scott, Mar 25, 2013.

1. luke_scott

luke_scott

Mar 25, 2013
    Hi,

This is my first post on TalkBass. I have a Sterling by Music Man Ray 34, and I have been thinking about getting a John East Preamp for it. I can't find any good youtube clips or sound samples that could give me a good idea about what I might end up buying. I would like to know if I can get close to the original preamp's sound as well as the 70's stingray sound. If the MMSR can get that modern grind that the stock preamp makes, then I'll be sold. I would love for someone to post some sound samples of their MMSR in action, demo'ing all the sounds that it could make. Thanks a lot.

Luke

2. rodneyat

rodneyat Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I've heard the East preamp is good but I don't have any personal experience with it. I do have personal experience with the Nordstrand MM preamp. It nails the Classic MM tone for sure. Check them out here:

http://www.nordstrandpickups.com/preamp/

And you can buy them at Best Bass Gear

3. luke_scott

luke_scott

Mar 25, 2013
    I heard about the Nordstrand EQ, it does a really good job, but I like having a midrange control, and I would like to be able to dial in my Stingray's modern tone, or a tone as close to it as possible. I can't find any sound clips or good Youtube samples of the MMSR, so I threw this thread out hoping someone who currently owns one will be kind enough to post some examples of the East preamp's sound.

4. I have with several bass's w/ EQ's including (2) Bartolini basses Tobias, and Elrick, A Fodera (pre amp in a hot rodded Fender PJ type 2 Fenders with the Kubicci pre, J-Retro in a Jazz and my newest favorite an Audere 4 band in a rebuilt 62 P Bass. Out of all of them I think I'm liking the Audere the best and more specificialy because of the 4 band I can dial in anything from old school Jamerson type P sounds to a very modern sounding that no longer sounds "just like a P bass" Amazing tonal options with the Impedence changing switch....I really can't get over the versitility.....the Force is strong with this one!