1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD John East P-Retro preamp. SUPER RARE!!!! w/pickguard or NOT!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by road-cat1, Jan 18, 2021.

1. road-cat1

road-cat1 Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Price:
    United States
    I am selling my JOHN EAST P-Retro that is mounted on a WD 5 string P-Bass pickguard.
    This is a fantastic preamp that is SO versatile. They are no longer made and I sent it back to John East in England last year for a new battery rebuild. These rarely come up for sale. I am not playing a P bass any longer and removed this pickguard and preamp before putting the bass back to stock and selling it.

For those that may not be familiar with the preamp: It consists of 2 push/pull knobs. The preamp is bypassed with knobs pushed down. The volume tone is passive until the volume knob is pulled up. At that point, it engages the preamp. From dip switches on the back, you can program if you want flat or a slight treble boost. Right now it is set with the slight treble boost. Even with the treble boost, the tone control (bottom knob of the concentric) will roll off treble as a conventional tone control. The 2nd concentric push pull does not engage until the first knob is activated. Once you have engaged the preamp, you have a detente for flat and then a cut or boost and a sweep for the frequency that you want for the center of the boost/cut. Additionally through a dip switch setting, you can pull on the 2nd knob and get a bass boost. It is set up this way right now but can be changed by the dip switch location. So, it is possible to get a treble boost and bass boost just by lifting up on both concentric controls. If I still had a P-bass, I would keep this preamp.

The preamp has a rechargeble battery and this includes the 1/4" plug that goes to a wall wart. There is an LED light on the front panel past the tone and volume control that will let you know the condition of the battery. You plug it in until it glows green. The battery is rated to give you 8-10 hours before a recharge is needed. When I was playing the P bass in shows, I never had an issue with the battery running out. If that ever happened, you would press in the controls and go to passive mode.
    I sent it back to John East for a battery rebuild because I thought that it was taking too long for a recharge. John East rebuilt and replaced the battery pack and it is like brand new now.

$250 will get this delivered to you in CONUS. If you do not want the pickguard I will remove it from the pickguard and lower the price $25.
    P-RETRO
    https://www.east-uk.com/wp-content/uploads/OperationManuals/pretro01.pdf

20210118_113730.jpg 20210118_113825.jpg 20210118_114020.jpg

bmac314 likes this.
  2. bmac314

bmac314 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Louisiana
    PM’d

3. road-cat1

Mar 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    sold pending payment

nuage420b likes this.
  4. road-cat1

Mar 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    sold

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021