1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

John East U-Retro 5 knob issues...Help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JeffontheBass, Aug 19, 2007.

1. JeffontheBass

JeffontheBass

Aug 13, 2007
    San Diego
    I just installed my John East 5 knob preamp,plugged it in and everything worked! That is until i pulled the Volume knob to put it into passive...Nothing ,no sound.Put it back in active and it works fine....could it be a bad switch?? The instructions were easy enough to follow, dont know what i could of done wrong. Also I noticed when i turn the blend knob all the way to the neck position it is not as loud as when the blend knob is turned to the bridge position. Iam going to try adjusting my pickup height and see what happens.If anyone has a clue about the passive not working it would be great. I put the pre in my lakland 5 w/ Mk1 p/u's

Thanks, Jeff :bassist:
    http://www.myspace.com/AEPNIA

http://www.myspace.com/syrupfunk

2. John East

John East Commercial User

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    Owner of E-Pro & East UK
    Jeff

* Is this a new unit?

* The passive and active paths are mostly separate, where the blend and tone pot are the only common elements. You'll note that the volume control is a dual type where one section is used for active and the other for passive path.

* Since active works, there cannot be very much wrong.

* Please check:
    - The 3 wires to the rear section of the volume pot are all soundly connected at both ends. There is normally heatshrink tubing on all connections, which may hide a problem. Tug all wires firmly one by one.

- The P/P switch on the tone has 3 wires (plus two for the passive tone, I assume that's working) to it from the main circuit board, make sure they are all soundly connected at both ends. Earlier units had the wires connected directly to the terminals of the pot, current units have a circuit board on the tone pot with P/P switch.

Other than that please come back to me directly in order that we can sort this out for you.

Cheers

John