Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Edwards

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by oliebrice, Apr 9, 2003.

1. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    Just did a search on this website for John Edwards, and since nothing came up, thought I'd better start a thread.
    John Edwards is probably the best db player in England at the moment, incredibly inventive and musical. he plays free jazz and improv.
    I saw him play recently in a trio w/ peter Brotzmann on sax and Mark Sanders (another incredible english free improviser) on drums, and Edwards was amazing.
    I'm playing in a duo with a saxophonist next week opening for Edwards, Sunny Murray (of Albert Ayler/Cecil Taylor fame) and saxophonist Tony bevan, which is pretty scary!

2. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    The gig last night, with Edwards, Murray and Bevan, was incredible. Anyone who doesn't know Edwards' playing and who's into free jazz/improv really needs to hear him.

3. I saw him play with Peter Brötzmann too a couple of months ago, scary stuff - the things that guy can do with a bow!!!

4. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    where was the Brotzmann gig? I saw him play with Brotzmann and Mark Sanders in Leeds a few months ago and edwards and Sanders were both incredible.
    Talking of improv bowing, have you heard Simon Fell? If not, have a listen to the hession/Wilkinson/Fell clip linked from this page:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/jazz/jon3/freedom/focartwlknsn.shtml

5. I saw them in Leeds too, I haven't heard any of Simon Fells stuff but I'll check it out

6. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    and another incredible arco free jazz bassist, david Izenzon. if you don't know it, check out his stuff with Ornette ie: live at the golden circle. He did some beautiful straighter stuff as well, with Sonny Rollins for example.

7. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    oh and with archie shepp as well, eg fire music