Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Entwhistle Sound

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by The Beast, Nov 15, 2004.

1. The Beast

The Beast

Jul 19, 2004
    Evil Town
    My school is doing the musical Tommy by The Who and I got picked to play bass. :bassist: There's nothing i cant handle in the actual music, but i wanted to ask some of The Who fanatics here how to get as close to his tone and technique as possible so i can be authentic.

I'm playing on a Fender Active Jazz 5-String through an Ampeg SVT 3Pro and a 4x10 cab.

How would i put my settings?

How many fingers does he use? I usually use 3, and it looks to me from footage i've seen that he does too, but i aint sure.

Does he pound the strings for his tone or is that just low action?

Are his right hand fingers just near the fingerboard or actually on it?

etc, etc...

Thanks guys.

2. As far as I know, he pounds them near the fingerboard. Just playing fingerstyle with really powerful strokes from high up.

I may be wrong, but thats what people have said to me.

Good luck!

3. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Clean low-end, distorted highs.

4. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    On his video he tells Arlen Roth that his sound is full volume, full treble.You might want to look at his video though, he uses a pick sometimes, and he does that tapping thing that he calls "playing like a typewriter" with his index, middle and ring fingers on the end of the fingerboard.He does this because he never liked slap, pop playing, and he gets that effect from this technique.I do not recall him saying anything about his amp settings on the video.I'm sure there are others on this forum that can tell you about that though. Good luck, he's a monster for sure.

5. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    The Ox used a variety of axes and amps over the years on his tone quest. But his sound always came from his fingers, IMO. What a Champion of Rock Bass.

Everything said so far is right on. The heavy attack from your fingers will do the most to help, esp. with the Tommy material. Several tunes on Tommy were played with a pick, esp. "Tommy Can You Hear Me?" & "Sally Simpson".

Add a tad bit of OD, kick the treble up and play heavy. That's the most you can do.

6. The live version of Tommy from Leeds was on a P Bass.

Yes, Entwistle loves him some treble...but not horn treble.

Slightly overdrive the highs: yes.

Don't be so cavalier as to say "nothing you can't handle" in the music. There is quite some intricate and tasty stuff there. The phrasings get a tad similar and there are alot of reprises to the openning overture, but there are tons of changes and really, alot to remember.

I was in a Who tribute ensemble and learned it note for note, no cheats. Took quite a while to get down. The way the Oeverture modulates and the way you approach it in position gets a bit squirrely.

Have fun with it.
    Mon

7. redliner47

redliner47 Continuous Recreation

Sep 24, 2004
    Springfield, MA
    i was wondering, where did you get the music for it? did you order the sheet music or is there some place on the web?