Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Entwhistle's basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkThumb, Dec 10, 2001.

1. achtung!

i wonder if any body out there knows what basses are played by John entwhistle...specifically i am trying to find out info on the weird black bass with the roman numerals on the neck(want to find that neck after-market perhaps?) and the bass that is thunderbird style.
    Since i'm on the subject, anybody know a good site for tabs for the who?

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You're asking about his Buzzard basses. They're his own design, that he had Warwick building for a while, but now Status is building them. In the past 2 years, they've also introduced the Buzzard II model, which looks more like a conventional bass.

3. do you mean the black with roman numerals, or the thunderbird?

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Both. Go the Status' web site,and you'll see them there.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Here's the Buzzard II

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    you'll probably have trouble finding an aftermarket neck like what are on john entwistle's basses, as they are completely one piece...not neck-through, or bolt-on...one piece. interesting design. you may have luck locating an inlay service that could custom inlay the roman numerals on your existing neck or an aftermarket moses graphite neck. dave pushic has connections as do ken bebensee and warrior basses.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, the original Buzzard is one piece. The more "conventional" Buzzard is either bolt-on or set-in neck.

One thing you'll need to be aware of is that these necks are 26 frets, so any bass you put them on would have to be modified. That doesn't mean that you couldn't still try to contact Status at www.status-graphite.com to see if they have the ability to sell you a Buzzard neck. I just wouldn't recommend it.

8. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Why would anyone want a Buzzard neck if they didn't have the cool Buzzard body?

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Seriously, graphite replacement necks aren't cheap. My guess is that for a specialty item like this, if you were to get it from Status, you'd almost be better off waiting for a Buzzard II to come available. The Bass Place in Arizona had one for sale a while back for $1,495: not at all expensive considering that it was a graphite neck and had a 3 band eq with full parametric mids!:cool:

10. RockFiend

RockFiend

Aug 23, 2000
    Yes the Buzzard bass is the new black one with the Roman numerals, but I believe the gold thundernbird one you are asking about that had the spider web inlay over the volume/tone pots was his Alembic, that they designed specifically for him, imitating a fender neck but with the Thunderbird style body, you would see it in the Who Are You videos, etc...

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yes, the gold colored Thunderbird style one you see John playing is an Alembic which was custom made for him.

There was an article in Guitar Player magazine back before Bass Player mag came out that had an article about him and his basses (am I dating myself or what? :eek: ).

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If I remember correctly, the video "The Kids Are Alright" which showed them recording "Who Are You" showed him playing a red explorer (Thunderbird???) with a Fender neck. That was not an Alembic.

He did start using Alembics in the late 1970's, I believe. Alembic built him at least 3 explorers, one of which was an 8-string.

13. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
  14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Geez!:eek: That seems legit, to me. I wonder what the reserve is.

15. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    i don't know. that would be very cool to have, but i'm scared to think what the reserve really is.

so many cool basses out there, so little money.

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ah, yes there are. Check out what this guy in Texas bought for his collection...

http://www.buzzardbass.com/

The bass requires 5 9-volt batteries!:eek:

17. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    you mean:

[​IMG]

:eek:
    now, that's powerful

18. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    and expensive!

19. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Um...yeah.:eek:

Ain't that crazy???

IIRC, 2 batteries are for the LED's and 3 for the active preamp.

20. Dang. The bass could almost double as a small UPS for a desktop computer!

Honestly though, it's a pretty interesting bass. I'd love to try an all graphite bass.