John Entwhistle's basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkThumb, Dec 10, 2001.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    I don't like the Buzzard I at all, but the Buzzard II looks good to me. A subtle touch of originality, without all that kind of extravaganza that I really don't like.

In another hand, the graphite concept pleases me more and more, though for me it remains complementary to wood, not a replacer.

Just for information, how much does a Buzzard II list ?

All the best,

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Actually, it looks more like carbon fiber than graphite to me, or is it just a CF "skin?"

They are definitely cool looking basses! I think I have my first genuine case of GAS!

3. dabassr

dabassr

Apr 6, 2002
    Tx
    There's a pictures of JEs Gibson Thunderbird (1964) in "The Bass Book" from GPI Books. There is also a picture of an Alembic 'Spider' with a silver wire inlay in the form of a spider's web. They say that JE had Alembic make him three of these, celebrating his "classic Who song 'Boris the Spider'. However, I don't think the one pictured in the book was his - it has the names of the notes inlaid between the frets along the neck.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    about a month ago we had this talk on tabcrawler
    funkycarnivore said he saw on of the buzzards on sale for $5000

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    "graphite" is a common misnomer for carbon-fiber composite.

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Hmmmmm... When I think of graphite, I think of pencil lead.

;)

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Right - that's (mostly) graphite. Not too useful for making basses out of. . . :)

There was a thread around here where somebody who knew about this stuff went into more detail. . .anyway, I think "composite" is the safest term to use loosely.

8. Carbon fiber composite is often referred to as "graphite" because the carbon fibers themselves are, well, graphite. However, what gives carbon fiber composite its stiffness is the epoxy that holds it all together. Different epoxies give different stiffnesses, and thus different tones; this is why Zons are considered have a "warmer" sound than Moduli.

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Ah, you're right - I was under the impression that the form of carbon in carbon fibers wasn't properly graphite, but it is. Just in ribbons. Here's a cool page that shows how the fibers are formed:

http://www.psrc.usm.edu/macrog/carfsyn.htm

10. As well, the company is named "Status Graphite" not "Status Carbon fiber". :)

Think of the open mic. conversation possibilities...

"Nice bass"

"It's made of a similar material to formula 1 car chassis."

"Oh..."

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That was his. He had one that Alembic forgot to put the sharps and flats, and another that they DID include the sharps and flats. He said he did this to combat bouts of stage fright.

It's hard to imagine a master of bass such as him getting stage fright, isn't it???

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, Modulus necks aren't all that different in design from the Space Shuttle...you can add that to your conversation.:D

13. Do they have ceramic tiles on the underside that fall off now and then?

Just kidding. :)

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ROTFLMAO:D

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021