Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Entwistle during "Who's Next"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by relman, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Can anyone give me info on his setup during this time?

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm not sure of this at all, but it's possible he was using Fender Precisions. I'm even less sure of his amplification, but I know that for a while in the 1960's he was using Marshall. Since Who's Next was put out in 1971, maybe he was still using Marshall??? After a while, I know he switched to Sunn. I just don't know if there was anything in between or not.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

3. Was he still playing Rotosound Flatwounds?

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't think he EVER used Flatwounds. In fact, he was well known for using their Roundwounds...BIG endorser, up through about the mid-1980's or so when he switched to Maxima Gold.

I can't name another player who now uses Maxima strings, by the way...

5. Well...i know he was playing Rotosound...just listen to the beginning of "Getting in Tune"...doesn't it sound like flats?

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It may sound like flats to you, but I know he was using a fresh pair of Rotosound Roundwound. He made a big stink to Rotosound in the mid-1960's about how the D and G strings sounded good and bright, but the E and A strings went flat right away.

He then worked with Rotosound until they had perfected the winding. They liked the sound so much that they offered John an endorsement deal, free strings for as long as he wanted to use Rotosound.

I've read in interviews that he even changes strings after sound checks sometimes, and in the studio, sometimes after each song, just to keep them sounding as fresh as possible.

The recording of Who's Next disappointed him quite a bit. He never felt like his sound was present in the mix, up until Who Are You. In fact, in one interview I read, he actually made fun of the sound on Who's Next!