1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

John Entwistle: Isolated bass track to "Won't Get Fooled Again" (1971)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by A.K., Feb 14, 2016.

1. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I don't know if this is the original track or an alternate take. A very cool and different bass line, with some interesting and kind of angular blues licks going on.

2. fly agaric

fly agaric

Jan 18, 2016
    He's so good.

Sounds so weird naked and alone outside of context.

3. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    It does. I read somewhere that this was his first take upon being shown the song.

One Drop likes this.
  4. I could never wrap my head around what he was playing. I don't know if that says more about my shortcomings or his depth and vast vocabulary as a musician. Probably both. His technique never floored me but his note choice and the way he tied together changes is amazing.

One Drop, fly agaric, JLY and 2 others like this.
  5. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I agree. He takes a simple chord progression and comes up with a very unique line for it. I was working on this line yesterday and the way he uses the blues scale is interesting and kind of off the wall (in a good way). You can see why he was Chris Squire's favorite bassist.

GregC and Gluvhand like this.
  6. This is great, Thanks for posting!
    To me his style is based on his upbringing as a horn player, He adds punches in spots similar to a brass section.
    He had such a unique ear & chops, I've never bothered to try to dissect his lines, just enjoyed them!

One Drop, Sartori and A.K. like this.
  7. Smoove-Groove

Smoove-Groove We've got bush, We've got bush!

Jun 18, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    You can really hear him spanking the strings.

A.K. likes this.
  8. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Sounds like the original version.

A.K. likes this.
  9. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Yeah, I think it is.

10. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Entwistle died in a Las Vegas hotel room after a massive coke and alcohol binge with a hooker. What a badass.

Eikari, Atshen and Gluvhand like this.
  11. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Here are Van Hagar performing this song at 5150 studios in 1993. Mikey has the little details of Entwistle's line down.

sonicnuance likes this.
  12. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    I agree. Entwistle is my biggest influence but it has been with regards to phrasing and note choice rather than tone. I do like the tone on Who Are You though. He did so much for our instrument in terms of pushing the envelope. I appreciate the tone he is getting which was way ahead of his time. It is almost like he is playing slap bass but is probably using his "typewriter" technique.

Gluvhand and A.K. like this.
  13. Yeah, it's mostly the typewriter technique on round wound strings. I also here some pop's and chord like structures especially on accented notes.
    Steve Harris played like a typewriter also, but he used flats.

A.K. likes this.
  14. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    Based on available video (and a good but fading memory), Entwistle didn't really develop his typewriter technique until after the Who split up in 1982. I've never seen any clips of him playing that way with the Who until the 1990s. Plus, it was mainly a gimmick for solos. It's not very practical to play an entire song that way.

Video of his playing the same song in 1978 shows no use of the typewriter technique.

A hard right hand technique combined with roundwounds and a boost in treble will give you the very same tone.

Sartori, NealBass and A.K. like this.
  15. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    Here's a clip from 1971. Yes, they are miming for TV, but still there is no hint of typewriter.

(Keith is always fun to watch when he's miming. He gets extra silly).

A.K. likes this.
  16. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

A master class.

One Drop, JLY and A.K. like this.
  17. Yes, It is very sad that after all of his success he ended up spiritually bankrupt..

A.K. likes this.
  18. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I could listen to Entwistle tracks all day. He's one of those rare rock musicians that just kept working and improving his skills his whole life. Never seemed to rest on any one trick or technique. Just fantastic stuff.

What I hear is a guy playing music, not just playing bass if that makes sense.

One Drop, GregC and A.K. like this.
  19. Smoove-Groove

Smoove-Groove We've got bush, We've got bush!

Jun 18, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    He actually played a similar technique. It wasn't the full blown typewriter technique but it was along the same lines. He would kind of "spank" or bounce his fingertips off the strings. This would give it that somewhat slappy sound. He was doing this in the early who days.

One Drop likes this.
  20. His "spirituality", or lack there of, shouldn't be questioned by anyone.

ajkula66, One Drop, Freez and 3 others like this.