Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kink Rimson, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Hey people!
    I need help identifying one of John's many basses.
    He uses it in the 'Eyesight to theBlind' section of the Tommy film, and also plays it on the old grey whistle test clip of 'Relay'.

It seems to have the old style Tbird pickups and bridge but the body is shaped like a large hook.

I did think it may be a one-off custom but in the film 'Horror Hospital' the guy in the band plays one exactly the same

Does anyone know what it is? It's a killer looking bass!
  2. probably one custom built by Peter Cook- he put together the "Fenderbirds" and also later made an Explorer type with a graphite neck for Entwistle.
  3. Yeh, I did wonder that...
    Got the 'Bass Culture' book in a hope to identify it but nothing. Still, great book!
  4. jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    there is a website called that has absolutely everthing about entwistle's gear,by era.check it out,they have that bass.
  5. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Here it is before the T-bird neck. It's a one-off custom.
  6. Cheers for the help but unbelievably it ain't the one!

The on in the pic above appearsto be a cannibalized jazz, he used it in the 60's. The one I'm baffled by didn't pop up till the 70's. And the body shape was slightly different... the later one had a flat base whereas this 60's one is slanted.

The mystery bass also appears in the famous pic of John in his house surrounded by his many guitars... It lurks somewhere over the back but it's there!

Once again thanks for your response so far.