Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Entwistle Sotheby auction online

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, May 3, 2003.

1. [​IMG]

Lakland semi for £1000-£1500?

bargain!

2. yep, i should have said "I call that a bargain..":D

there's a Taylor AB1 at £800-£1000
    and a Fylde acoustic at £600-£800

although I expect bidding competition will be fierce on the day.

BTW. I couldn't find any of the "Fenderbirds"- Gibson Thunderbird with P bass neck.
    the nearest was an Explorer with a P bass neck built by Peter Cook. I wonder what happened to them?
    I remember seeing a clip of Lynyrd Skynyrd on the old grey whistle test repeats in which the bassist appeared to be using a Fenderbird.

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    What a collection. I would love to have one of thse 80's Warwicks....or the Flock

[​IMG]

4. Great Bog in heaven!

As a brass player, I think I'd love to get me some of them horns. Most aren't anything special, but I'd love to take the Ox's bass trombone to rehearsal.

Me: "Hey, man, this is freakin' Entwistle's bass trombone."

Orchestra member: "Who?"

Me: "Yeah, exactly."

Well, I'm going to go direct friends and family to that auction, just in case they want to get me a birthday gift for next year.

5. I'd want some of the Gold Records.

Will:"Yeah, back in the day I used to do sessions with the Who. John just couldn't get the lines figured out so he asked me to play the record...Nice guy, but he was always coping my licks!"

Grandkids:"Grandpa, why is your name written on duct tape covering the name plate?"

Will:"You kids ask too many questions! Back in my day *cue wavy effect and 8 hour rambling*"

6. Well Entwistle had quite a collection of instruments. I see he has a Chapman stick in there too :) Wish I could afford to bid on some of these things.

7. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Warwick Thumb?

This auction claims it's a Thumb. Sure looks like a streamer 6 to me.

8. Let's all chip in to buy Frankenstein. I'll hold on to it, since it was my idea.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The last time I was in my local Hard Rock Cafe there was a John Entwistle signed "Fenderbird" on the wall.

10. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Ah, if only money was no object...

[​IMG]

Or maybe...

[​IMG]

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I like the 1958 Flying V that they estimate will go for £30,000 - £50,000!!!!!!

For that kinda money I'd expect something brand new!!!!!

Yeah, I don't subscribe to the 'it's worth more 'cos it's old' notion.....

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    How 'bout the notion that collectors have been known to pay as much for the exact instrument?

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

There's that, but I'm definitely more of a player than I am a collector......:)

14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, it looks like its both and neither. Angled p/ups and three pots like on thumb, upper horn like on streamer. Probably custom made for His Majesty :) by Hans-Peter Wilfert (Warwick founder), because, as we all know, they were good friends (the Buzzard, too was custom-made for him by H-P Wilfert)

15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    No, the term is "it's worth more cos it was played by and belonged to John Entwistle" - thats a bit of a difference. but me, too, im a player, not a collector with lots of spare bucks :bawl: well, ok, im getting a Corvette 6 so i shouldnt complain...:)

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

makes no difference to me!:)

certainly not in financial terms!

17. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Perhaps we Euro-TBers could chip in and buy the set of his leather jackets? Now how cool would be that, probably they hold some mojo too :cool:

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

He has almost as many guitars as Brad Johnson does.

19. Man, this is awesome!!! Most of it is in mint condition, or in great shape...

This thread is just ment to be used in dreams. :rolleyes: