Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Entwistle

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by FaultLine423, Apr 2, 2001.

1. FaultLine423

FaultLine423

Aug 27, 2000
    What are some signature basslines from John Entwistle? I don't listen to much of The Who, but I thought the bass playing in "My Generation" was really good, and I've also heard many a good word spoken of Entwistle himself. I haven't really heard anything besides "my generation," though, so if you could help me out, I'd be grateful.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    "5:15", "Can You See the Real Me"...

These always strike a chord with me.

-robert

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    These are both off the CD "Quadrophenia". Really, any of his lines are interesting, from one standpoint or another.

If you're looking for signature songs, I'd listen to those two. But, I'd also check out his live stuff as it seems more happening than anything he's done in the studio...could be for any number of reasons. But, if you want to hear his better playing, check out any live "Who" CD. Some favorites include "Live at Leeds", which was actually rated as the number 1 heavy metal album in the year it was released (1973 ???)!

Also, The Who toured in 1999 and 2000, putting out a CD on the internet called "From Blues to the Bush" which features Entwistle on bass...some fantastic playing on that one, too! This features some really extended Who jams and Entwistle just goes nuts on the fretboard!

Any CD will show you some of the things he does, however. Enjoy!

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Almost everything I've heard Entwistle play impressed me, but here are some of my favorites:
    -Won't Get Fooled Again-especially the part during the chorus
    -Had Enough-I think this is on Who Are You, not to be confused with I've Had Enough from Quadrophenia--After the keyboard intro there is this KILLER ascending galloping bass run right before the vocals come in
    -Postcard from Odds and Sods-Cool song and vocals, muscular bass
    -The Real Me from Quadrophenia-truly a landmark in rock bass playing. Entwistle plays with ferocious attitude and majestic tone
    -Eminence Front from It's Hard-cool long low notes.
    And many others!

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I can't believe I didn't mention that one! I've heard 2 studio versions of this song, only one of which is on "It's Hard", and both have dramatically different bass lines. It is so cool to see how much he improvises his lines, including in the studio!

Eminence Front is a song that shows how, when limited by a "simple" drummer, he chooses to be more creative with the rythm of the song!

Listen to this song closely and you'll see what I mean!:D:D:D

Entwistle truly IS the master!:D

6. Jonathan Block

Jonathan Block

Mar 24, 2000
    CT, USA
    Sparks from Tommy has some nice bass on it.
    For really over-the-top bass, check out Trick of the Light from Who Are You. Tons of overdubbed bass, which really carries the tune. Actually, the main gtr work on that track is the solo.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    He plays that song with an 8-string bass (4 string with octaves).

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Since you don't mind diving back to the roots, (i.e., "My Generation"), some I would add to the newer Entwistle others have mentioned -

- "Happy Jack" I still use the speed lick he pulls off between lyric lines, to warm up the ol' fingers, (along with his "My Generation" break).

- "Boris the Spider" The bass figure is simple but it was the first Entwistle song the Who incorporated into their stage performances.

- "They Call Me Lightning"

- "Magic Bus" He lays low and keeps this tension that wears the listener out, thinking "I know something's gonna happen." When the band finally bursts into the break, Entwistle previews what later came to pass on "Live At Leeds," where he just plays blooooooody murder!!! Townsend sounds impotent while John is simply burning up.

9. sgraham

sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    Get "Live at Leeds". The cool thing about this is
    that you can pan it to one side and just hear the
    Ox throughout the record (CD,whatever) - no guitar! It's like hearing a long Entwistle solo.
    However, you also need to hear how he interplays
    with Moon & Townshend. Classic!

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If you get a chance, pick up either "Live at the Isle of Wight" or "Live: From Blues to Bush". The Wight CD was originally a bootleg that became so popular that the band decided to put out an official release! Entwistle is not quite as loud on it:mad: but the mix is more even:D This was arguably a better show than Leeds was, anyway!

Blues to Bush is a phenomenal disc that was available only on MusicMaker and showcases the tour of 1999-2000. It sounds incredible, and Zak Starkey proved that The Who can still have Keith Moon-type energy in the post Moon era...This is DEFINITELY worth checking out! Some incredible jams...

11. Jon Pomplin

Jon Pomplin

Mar 23, 2001
    Chicago
    If you really want a great dose of The Ox, check out his solo stuff. I picked up autographed versions of the CD's from this site.

www.eden.infohwy.com/~theox/

The version of "The Real Me" off of the "Left For Live" CD is incredible.

"The Rock" is a limited edition you can only get here. From the liner notes: "So damn the record companies. What the **** do they know anyway?" about says it all. Ringo's son Zak plays drums . "Whistle Rymes is an older release (1972) that has some cool stuff on it (Frampton played some guitar on this one).

The bottom line is this: If you are into The Ox, there is a lot of other stuff out there besides The Who. Don't think I am knocking anything the Who did, it is all top shelf and I can't get enough of it. Just there is some really cool and somewhat rare things worth taking a listen to as well.

12. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    If you want to hear the Ox live, there are a lot of Mp3s from the Who's last tour on Pete Townsend's site www.petetownshend.com. Go to the Diaries section, and the 2000 diaries. I've said it before, and I'll say it again (many times) - his solo in 5.15 is amazing! It's also worth checking out the MPEG of John playing on his site, www.johnentwistle.com.

13. I really enjoy his bass playing on the album "Who's Next". He really does a really deep on most of those tracks.

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    :confused:

What's a "really deep"? Do you mean his tone is really deep?

Entwistle hated his tone on Who's Next: he felt that the engineers couldn't record his tone properly for that album!;)

15. Oh sorry. Perhaps I should have re-read my post before submitting it. I meant that I thought his tone was really deep on that album. I wasn't aware that he didn't like it -- I sure did.

16. Curt

Curt

Mar 19, 2000
    Kankakee, Illinois
    I'm not real partial to the bass tone on "Who's Next". It's way too muddy compared to what John's tone is live. (I've seen him with the Who twice and I've seen The John Entwistle Band twice.)

The John Entwistle Band's "Left For Live" CD is a great album. Maybe not the place to start, but, the playing is excellent! He uses a lot of effects to alter the tone of the bass. It's like he's playing the bass and guitar at the same time. When you hear that in a small club for the first time, the volume nearly knocks you on your can!

Many of the bootlegs from the '96-'97 and '99-2000 tours are excellent recordings. (If you can get your hands on them!)

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    For classic Entwistle, listen to "Magic Bus":D.

Just kidding. The collection Who's Better, Who's Best" is pretty good.

Will C.:cool:

18. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Classic song, and I can actually get close to it - soon as I figure out what key it's in, I'm away! :p

19. Basically anything off of Quardophenia has a good bassline. That album is a must own for any rock and roll fan. Its just got such a good flow to it. Once you put the cd in you can't help but listen to both cds all the way through from beggining to end.

20. jimmysquid

jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    I think "Tricky Day" is a great one too. He has some great fills during the bridges.