Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Entwistle

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by J.., Jun 9, 2003.

1. J..

J..

Jun 7, 2003
    Hi everyone,
    1st of all.. How good is John Entwistle!!! :bassist: what a legend!!:) ;)
    ne way, back to the topic...

I've been playing bass for quite a while now and I've managed to get by so far with very few effects -> just a dunlop Wah pedal.

But now I'm starting up a "who" tribute band with some friends from college. I can play all the basslines without too much trouble, but I have no idea which effects that John uses...
    There's a great effect on Call Me Lightning, and on the live stuff (both the who (live at leeds) and John's post-who concerts) there are some cool sounds.

has anyone got any ideas how he gets his sound??

Thanks a lot, it'll be a great help.
    Look forward to hearing from you

cheers,
    J.

2. ratgeek

ratgeek

Oct 5, 2002
    Denver
    I don't really know to much about the effects that he uses but I have read that some of his sound is from the set up he uses. find the bass guitar magazine with the tribute and he explains some of this. I don't know if this is what you were looking for but I know alot of his sound has to do with his setup.

3. I think you mean how good WAS John Entwistle...:( :bawl:

4. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    The most basic elemnt of Entistle's sound was based on splitting his frequencies (via a crossover) with the lows remaining relatively clean and solid, but the highs screamin' reamin' distorted and essentially through a guitar rig. So, if you want to get into his effects, the important thing is that they were usually only on the high end.

That's not even the beginning of the tricky part, though. You have to work on his massive right hand technique. Good luck.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The interview in the Guitar Center mailer that came out right around the time of his death explained that he was experimenting with a multi-level split. He ran the treble through heavier distortion, the mids through less distortion, and the lows he ran clean. I think he was also splitting his signal in stereo in the top end.

Re: the effects he was using...he said in another interview that he had over 20 custom presets on his rig that included various eq settings (he used an old Trace Elliot midi eq system) and various effects including chorus and overdrive/distortion. Because his signature Ashdown preamp also has an subharmonizer, I'm sure he was using that as well.

He endorsed Digitech equipment, too...here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

6. J..

J..

Jun 7, 2003
    thanks a lot everyone, big help.
    looks like Im gonna have to save up a fair bit of cash before I attempt to copy his sound. lol. No point in being exactly the same as him tho, could just listen to one of his albums. I think I'll just experiment and find my own sound.

thanks again,
    J