1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

John Entwistle's bass - what is it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cowsgomoo, Apr 29, 2009.

1. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    [​IMG]

anyone got any background or info on this bizarre thing? it looks like a thunderbird neck... but the rest...?

2. it was a custom built "axe" bass. he had one like it (if this isn't the same one) in the 60's with a Jazz neck and Jazz pickups.

3. the one in the pic, of course, having T-Bird pickups.

4. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    That's what he did with the left over pieces from the Fenderbirds.

5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm sure that axe bass had no neck dive whatsoever. :D

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    That's the most bizarre bass i've ever seen.

And why is everyone there in a wheelchair?

Probably got in the way of Keith Moon.

7. Are you serious or joking? It's from Tommy the movie during the "eyesight to the blind" scene.

8. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    This was from when John and Pete were "ushers" for Eric Clapton. The Jazz Axe bass looks pretty cool, but I can't imagine anyone wanting anything to do with a Thunderbird, Entwistle or not. :p

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yeah, you gotta see the movie Tommy. Very bizarre.

10. im pretty sure you are kidding
    but check out Tommy its worth a looksee
    if anything for Ann Margaret straddling a bean covered pillow

11. this +100000000 :D

its funny how gene simmons gets the credit for the 'axe' bass when it was john all along.

im pretty sure this and a mix of the explorer/exploiter was the main inspiration behind the shape of the buzzard as there are a few tell tale signs on it (the nub at the neck heel treble side for example)

and while we are mentioning the Tommy movie, for all those who say john was just a show off, listen to the acid queen (Tina Turner one) and hear john doing some amazing funk lines

12. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I'm not one for musicals, but Tommy is pretty good.

13. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    Didn't Phil Chen play on parts of the Tommy soundtrack? It could be Phil

that song does sound quite a lot like John though

14. I started a thread on this very bass over 4 years ago!

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161926&highlight=john+entwistle+mystery

That's one of my favourite looking basses ever, absolutely incredible... Common agreement suggests it is a Peter Cook custom, made with the guts from an old Thunderbird.

Strangely, this bass appears in the film 'Horror Hospital'. There's a scene at the beginning with a band called Mystic, the bass player is playing this exact bass. Who is he, and how did he get hold of it?
    It's quite a hysterical film and I recommend it to anyone - check it out.

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Well, that's one Tbird with plenty good access to ALL the frets.

16. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Trust me, he's kidding, no one's that clueless.

17. I would hope not. :D

Tommy came out right when I was first getting into The Who and first picked up a bass. I think I saw it at the theaters at least a dozen times. Of course I had to have my parents drive me and my mom finally broke down and went to see it several times with me. :D It's one of those movies that you can see over and over again and still see something new.

18. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    A lot of "Tommy" the movie version was other musicians. I know Elton John's band played on his "Pinball Wizard", not The Who.

19. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008

I was thinking along the same lines, I knew it was from Tommy I just haven't gotten around to seeing it yet. I've been dying to see it since I saw Quadrophenia but just haven't had a chance to snag it yet.

20. phall2112

phall2112

Dec 31, 2008
    Im still wondering how the who survived "tommy" the movie. what a load of crap. One of the best records ever. But destroyed in movie form. I guess because i wasnt on LSD. though i am a big fan of ann margaret.