1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

John Frusciante solo career?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, May 8, 2006.

1. Anyone else love his solo stuff? I personally can't get enough of it. Just bought Curtains and it is amazing.

P.S. I didnt know if i should put this in recordings or here so move it if it shouldn't be here

2. I have The Will to Death and the Ataxia album. They are excellent.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I have "Shadows collide with people".... phenomenal. It's like new RHCP with better vocals/songwriting, he also feels free to play more with layering. It's a awesome stuff.

4. I agree. I love the New Chili Peppers style as well as the old.

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I have seen his CD's in the store but I have never heard any of his solo work.

6. I have "Shadows Collide With People" and I love it ! I'll defnitely buy more of his solo stuff.

7. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Does he sing in falsetto most of the time?

John is one of my favourite guitarists, and his backing vocals are great, but I can't imagine listening to an entire album of 'em.

If not I will be purchasing these albums.

Graeme

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    No no no, he sings on his solo stuff. Maybe some falcetto here and there, I guess he likes all his backup vocals in the higher register. But he sing sings normally, he's got a good range.

9. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I have 8 of his solo discs and love 'em all. Really interesting music. Quite a bit of variety amongst the albums also.

10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I've never heard him, but I'm not sure about getting one of his albums since I think he is the weakest link in the peppers. Idunno, what are some good songs as a sampler?

11. :eek:

Wait, hold on a second here.

Yeah, it's still there.

:eek:

12. ^^^ You're crazy!

I've heard quite a bit of his solo stuff and it's all mind blowingly good.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    He's probably my favorite guitarist, and I love him as a musician. Matter of fact, halfway through Stadium Arcadium, I needed a break and threw on When Shadows Collide with People. To Record Only Water for 10 Days was my first JF disc and it's been snowballing ever since. I'm still missing curtains.

For those of you who want go give it a listen: John Frusciante has an internet album on his website: www.johnfrusciante.com. It's a good album, not his BEST work, but nevertheless it gets a lot of playing time in my rotation. Download it, it's definately worth it.

14. :eyebrow: :eek: :( :rollno: :scowl: :bawl: :spit: :confused::crying: BOOOO! There is no weak link in the Peppers, they are perfect for each other. If anything he is one of the stronger links, one of the main creative forces especially lately. I highly recommend you get some of his solo stuff though.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

You know, I'm not going to jump on you about this like some people... ;) ... beacause six months ago, I would have agreed with you. His solo albums make John MAKE SENSE. Now he's honestly my favorite Pepper.

16. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    His solo stuff could blow my mind, but it won't change how much I like/dislike his playing in the Peppers.

I'm not saying he's bad, just not as good.

17. i know its weird to bump such an old thread... but I have bought most of his albums now and I highly recommend them to all of you. For a while now its been almost all of what I listen to.

If you want a sample check out this youtube video - This is the music video for the song "The Past Recedes" off of his latest album "Curtains" Amazing guitar solo.

18. Holy crap, John has released 6 albums in the last 2 years. 7 if you count Stadium Arcadium by the Peppers.

19. Yeah he released 6 albums in 6 months (one was under the name Ataxia and one was an EP but still....) and Stadium Arcadium was like a full year of work. He already has songs written for a new solo album but he has no time since hes on tour now. You might say music plays a role in his life...

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have curtains.