Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Frusciante

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by the-lizard-king, Jun 7, 2001.

1. I know this isnt really bass related, but I just picked up a copy of John Frusciante's new solo album 'To Record Only Water For Ten Days', and it is brilliant. I was totally blown away. Definately one of the best albums ive heard in a long while. I was a little worried that it would be in the shadow of the RHCP but this album is so far removed from the RHCP that if you didnt know JF was the guitarist of that band, you wouldnt be able to draw any comparisons at all, and JF's deep voice and singing style is far different from Anthony Keidis. The albums dark sound is unique. JF himself produced, arranged and wrote the album, and it it has a raw un-produced sound that really adds to the mood. It has some nice basslines too. Buy it now!!
    Jim

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Who played the bass parts? Frusciante or did he have a real bass player?

3. Im not sure who played the bass (it wasnt Flea I dont think, its not his style) The credits only credit JF as being behind all of the songs, so he may have played them himself. The basslines are along way from the funky style of the RHCP and are more used to create a mood, but they are pretty cool.
    Jim

4. Cruise, I think you might have to do that :)

I just found a website that says that John did the whole thing, including drums, keyboards and synth, and bass. He didnt get another musician for anything.

5. I really like the "Going Inside" song, the guitar part kinda reminded me of something Andy Summers would play. A lot of people (even on this site) say John is an awful guitar player, but he has to be one of the most creative guitar players I have heard in my life, and versatile, too. It's hard to imagine the guy who played "Good Time Boys" on Mother's Milk is the same guy who played on "Road Trippin'" or even his solo work. I should probably buy that album.

6. Yes, that album is awesome! Did you ever hear of his earlier work? It's flat out disturbing! Download "my smile is a rifle" and you'll know what I mean.

John may not be the fastest guitar player, and may not be able to play constant 64th notes scales, but damn, that man is creative. I recommend his new album to anyone.

7. is the new album out in most record stores? Or do i need to order it online, cause I think i might just get me a copy :)

8. JoBo, the album should be in the big music stores, but its probably hard to find in the smaller ones. I hadnt seen it in any of the stores, and was just going to order it over the net from Amazon or somewhere like that, when by chance I spotted it in the RHCP section of a large chain store. It should be in any of the big stores like HMV. Any store could order it in for you anyway.
    Jim

9. you WILL find it in the larger chains, such as Media Play and Best Buy.