John Glascock's Rickenbacker 4001 bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IMMusicRulz, Jul 26, 2022.

1. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz Commercial User

Aug 3, 2020
    Atlanta, GA
    I am a semi-professional musician
    Though he played a sunburst Fender Precision bass (this was a CBS larger headstock era Precision Bass) and the occasional Gibson Thunder-bird bass and Music Man Stingray during his ill tenure in Jethro Tull, John Glascock mostly played a Rickenbacker 4001 and a red modified Gibson EB3 during his tenure in the earlier progressive rock act Carmen. [​IMG] This photo shows John Glascock with a Jetglo Rick, which I guess either John owned or just rented for this performance.

But he also played a cream colored Rickenbacker 4001. [​IMG]
    Of course, you can tell on some of the Fandangos In Space album that John is playing a Rickenbacker using a pick and what sounds like an Ampeg SVT amp backing him. Now, I know that he used a Rickenbacker and owned one, but does anyone know exact info on these Rickenbackers? Like the years they were manufactured, what the serial numbers were? I would guess it was a 1963 or 1964 Rickenbacker, because that's when their production really boomed after The Beatles started using Rickenbacker musical instruments.

But if anyone has info on the Rickenbackers John used, that would be helpful and much needed.

And yes, his name really is Glascock. Don't wear it out...

Arthur U. Poon likes this.