Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Goldsby & Chris Fitzgerald

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Johnny L, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Ever since I heard John Goldsby...some small clips on the internet when I had computer speakers...I thought the guy was awesome.

I just picked up the Rufus Reid music book again (my last one I never touched until one of my cats pee'd all over it and I tossed it in the trash) with an interest in learning all those crazy chords and scales you jazz guys keep obsessing over and a CD of John Goldsby's so I could hear him play songs all the way through instead of teaser samples...loving it all lots and working Rufus etudes in the practice mix...and I got curious. Which bow does he use? Does he stand or sit? How far does he extend his endpin? What strings does he prefer? Who are his heroes?

Low and behold, I find this guy's from Kentucky and takes lessons from guess who:
    [​IMG]

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

2. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    John is a great player and a great guy, and I wish I got to see him more often. His playing and his books are excellent, and if you ever get to meet him, you'll likely find his very dry wit is as good as his playing.

Good god, man, where did you find that picture? On the website at the U? I'll be damned. That was from a masterclass John gave where one of the students asked if we would play a duet together to close the class. Looking at the picture, I am reminded why I drag my own gigstool to every gig: I was sitting on some funky stool, playing some bass that happened to be handy, and my posture looks absolutely terrible in that pic. Wow. Is it possible to photoshop some Alexander Technique into that pic? :ninja:
    :ninja:

4. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    No way Chris you're awesome man and it's a cool pic I couldn't help using it to harass you

5. Gee, I just assumed you had your head tilted like that so Goldsby could check out his form in the reflection.

6. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Thank you, bassist14! Lots of good info and goodies from Goldsby just what I was looking for. :bassist:

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    BONNY BELL,

If you haven't already, check out John's recording entitled "Tale of the Fingers". He kicks major posterior both pizz and arco all over that disc.

I think it's about time for you to post a pic in the "What do we all look like" thread, don't you? :)

8. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    thanks for the recommendation Chris yeah that's the one I snagged from Amazon with the Rufus Reid book (it was the only one they had in stock damn I wanted to get a later recording that was more loungey I like the slower paced jazz better...yeah I'm a chord junkie...but yeah TOTF is great!)

9. I'm in there somewhere. I'll be the one with a relatively wide part. :D

10. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    This is probably the oldest thread I've ever resurrected but oh well.

I saw John play tonight with Roni Ben-Hur, Jeff Sherman, and Michael Ferraraccio. His sense of time was incredible. It's so completely obvious when a bassist is really internalizing the groove and playing with it. The spot on intonation and tasteful chops with a classy sense of restraint complete the deal.