1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

John Goldsby's jazz bass book missing cd

Discussion in 'Double Bass Pedagogy [DB]' started by Chenejjj, May 6, 2018.

1. Chenejjj

Chenejjj

May 6, 2018
    Hello
    I purchased John Goldsby's jazz bass book from Book depository
    the book is great but it didnt come with the cd, could anyone send me the audio files?
    thanks

2. John Goldsby

John Goldsby Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Columnist — BassMagazine.com, Conservatorium Maastricht, NL
    Actually, I recommended that Chen ask the folks here on the TB forum if someone could help him out. I can't in good conscious cannibalize my own product that the publisher spent a lot of money and resources putting on the market. Of course, the proper way to do it would be for Chen to send the book back to Book Depository, and then they would issue a replacement. But the easier way to do it is just to ask for the files from a like-minded bassist who has them digitized. I won't do it, because I have a clear contractual obligation not to do that—but I'm guessing someone might give him the files . . . and I won't be bugged about it ;) Hal Leonard used to offer replacement CDs, but I think they've stopped doing that.

3. There's a lot of help in acceptance. :)

Quinn Roberts likes this.
  4. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    This issue came up last year for another TB member, and I supplied the files to him, per John's approval.

@Chenejjj, please send me a PM, and I’ll send you the information you need to obtain the files.

5. Travis Taylor

Travis Taylor

Jul 24, 2019
    Hi Michael - Would you mind if I PM'd you about the same? I have a brand new edition, and I can't help but feel like the online edition is missing the entire middle section of the book - there are no samples from the "Players" section, even though they're mentioned in the text!

Great book though.

6. Michael Eisenman

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    No problem.

7. BobClef

BobClef

Jul 28, 2019
    Hi michael... I was referred to you by John Goldsby as a possible reference for the sound files for his book. Could I get you to send me a link? I purchased the book and it didn't come with the cd.

Bob

8. Michael Eisenman

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    You have a PM.

9. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I made a playlist on Spotify for just about every recording mentioned in John Goldsby’s book.

leonard, ErikP.Bass, Nashrakh and 2 others like this.
  10. John Goldsby

Mar 4, 2003
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Columnist — BassMagazine.com, Conservatorium Maastricht, NL
    Hey @Ukiah Bass ... Thanks a million for doing the playlist. That’s a lot of great listening in one resource. How many hours in total is the whole thing?

11. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    141 songs, 8hr 56min. I built the playlist 3 or 4 years ago and at that time, some of the songs listed in your book were not in Spotify's catalog. If anyone spots missing songs, let me know and I'll add them. Otherwise I'm busy watching your Upright Bass Handbook on TrueFire. Getting ready to start playing a big dog!

12. John Goldsby

Mar 4, 2003
    It looks like you mainly included some tracks from Miles Davis w/ Ron Carter, but also with Percy Heath. MJQ (Percy), Duke Ellington (Blanton/Webster Band), and Count Basie (Walter Page). 144 songs, 9 hours of music.

In The Jazz Bass Book, I mention several albums from *each* of 75+ or so bassists in the book, so I think there are quite a few left out here. For example:

Red Mitchell, Hampton Hawes, All Night Sessions, Vol 1-3

Charles Mingus, Mingus Ah Um

Oscar Pettiford, Oscar Pettiford Meets Lucky Thompson

Slam Stewart, Artist Link

Scott LaFaro, Bill Evans at the Village Vanguard

Charlie Haden, Artist Link

and the list goes on and on. It depends how extensive you want to make this list of important bassists. I would project with 75 bass players, conservatively maybe 3-4 albums for each player...the full playlist would be about 300 albums / 3000 tracks / 250 hours of music. (Give or take a few minutes ;)

Have fun listening!

13. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I believe that project is unfinished! Makes you think though ... with the scope clarified by John, these bass icons were on a massively broad range of disks. Not "everything" in a literal sense, but seems like it. Makes John's work of describing the variations and creating a jazz bass artist taxonomy all the more impressive!

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  14. ctrlzjones

ctrlzjones

Jul 11, 2013
    ... there is too much music to listen to. It renders me impotent. I want back a life based on record collection and compact cassettes.

All those streaming possibilities only make me dizzy and not listening good enough. And yes, I know that it's my problem.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 5:25 AM
    Quinn Roberts likes this.