1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

John Goldsby's Jazz Concepts - What Goes Down, Must Come Up

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Whousedtoplay, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    del

2. Where can I see the music for this?

3. thank you so much!!! great lesson!

4. Thanks!

5. John Goldsby

John Goldsby Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Columnist — BassMagazine.com, Conservatorium Maastricht, NL
    Thanks for posting Whousedtoplay, and for checking out the column folks!

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Ummm, you did see chop's signature, right?

7. John Goldsby

Mar 4, 2003
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Columnist — BassMagazine.com, Conservatorium Maastricht, NL
    Er, uh?

8. :confused::confused::confused:

9. John Goldsby

Mar 4, 2003
    One of these years, I have to change the Chop_1992 handle ... Anyway — thanks again for checking out the articles.

I'm in Guimarães, Portugal, about to hit with these guys in a few hours. Lots of rhythm going on here :)

10. John Goldsby

Mar 4, 2003
    Just got back from the concert — the band bus leaves in 6 hours. But, I'll answer your Vince question: He is a brilliant orchestrator, and I gladly play any lines that he writes, because I know when he writes a specific bass line, it's part of the overall ensemble sound. He writes great bass parts that are integral to the arrangement. When the solo sections come, or when a section is repeated with no horn backgrounds, then I have all of the freedom in the world to add something of my own. Of course, whatever I play has to fit the intent of the piece. Ultimately, it should be hard to distinguish between the written bass lines and the improvised lines in a big band part. Ideally, it should all sound well composed.

11. JRN

JRN

Aug 4, 2010
    CO 80443
    Thank you for the lesson, always great help and info.

12. John Goldsby

Mar 4, 2003
    Thanks, JRN!

Thanks also, Whousedto...

We're on tour with the pianist Chano Dominguez, dancer Daniel Navarro, singer Blas Córdoba, and Cajon player Pablo Dominguez. Arrangements by Vince Mendoza of Chano's tunes. I play with the WDR (Westdeutscher Rundfunk) Big Band, which is one of four radio big bands in Germany. They organized the whole project. We're recording with video on Tuesday in Leverkusen, and I've heard that will probably be a DVD sometime.

Here's Chano, Blas and Daniel with the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra.

13. John Goldsby

Mar 4, 2003
    Good idea....I've gotten an earful of Phrygian the past couple of weeks.