Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Goldsby's The Jazz Bass Book

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by SleeperMan2000, Dec 17, 2002.

1. SleeperMan2000

SleeperMan2000

Jul 31, 2002
    Cary NC
    Haven't seen anyone mention this book yet.

I saw it Barnes & Noble, had to have it.

Goes into depth on the Artists, Eras, etc. Also plenty of technique and exercises.

Most info I've seen in one place.

Just published. I recommend it strongly. When I have time I'll post more highlights.

Now let's see, The Jazz Bass Book by John Goldsby, or yet another Simandl Etude.... hmmm....

2. I flipped through a copy of this book recently and from that quick glance added it to my myst buy list.

3. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Received the book in the mailbox yesterday: really nice book, a "must have" for anyone interested in jazz bass. The content adheres adequately to the program: technique and tradition. Took it to bass class, teacher and fellow aspiring bassists drooling all over the thing. Got assigned a P. Chambers solo.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I got this yesterday - I was expecting to see it in shops, but no. So I ordered it from JazzWise in the UK.

It is very good - certainly fills a gap in the education market for Jazz Bassist. So it is nice to have a book that has something for everybody rather than just aimed at beginners, but is very clear and easy to read.

The transcriptions are enough to keep me going for ages and I haven't even listened to the CD yet either!!

I can see this forming the basis of a new practice regime for me!! :)

cabcreaser likes this.
  5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I picked it up two months ago. It is a great book. I just stumbled upon it in a Barnes&Noble one day around x-mas.

It was worth the price. The book is loaded with information and musical examples.

Well worth the price

6. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    The PC solo is transcribed from "Four Strings". Heck ova practice indeed. Slam Stewart's "Humoresque" on page 41 is easier and really great, too bad I don't know the tune; Got to order the CD. Kept humming the solo all day long. Workmates ask me if I met anyone...

Many thanks to John Goldsby !

7. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I especiallly appreciate his emphasis on internalizing these lines and playing them in all 12 keys. It really helps get them in you, and then you the theory of the line is something you think about as a interesting 3rd dimension to something you are *feeling*.

I just got the book, and have been slowly going through it - I skipped some of the Ray Brown and Scott LaFaro examples that are just beyond me (at least at the moment), but really appreciate his approach.

8. Read the posts, read the rewiev & ordered the book right away. It may take a couple of weeks to arrive, but....I´m drooling already!!

R2D2

9. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Here's my two cents: it's the best jazz bass book I've ever seen, hands down.

I think it's really cool how he did the "history lesson" first, and then put technical stuff at the back almost like appendices. But the history stuff is full of musical insight and learning material.

It's not a method book, it's better. And Goldsby's writing style is very good. It doesn't lecture, and it doesn't pander, the tone is exactly right.

Highly recommended.

10. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Just received it for my birthday present.

Excellent!!

Love it!

Did I say excellent?

Touch

11. I'm Watering At The Mouth!
    Just placed the order....To hell with the Australian Dollar!:p

12. Hey Mowerpants,
    haven´t gotten mine yet...let´s make a competition:

Who Gets The Jazz Bass Book First

the loser will provide the beer...

R2

13. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    Got a copy in 4 days from Backbeat w/ free shipping.

This is an important addition to my little library.

i've only had a chance to to glance through, but the bio's are great in themselves. Historical time table, concise and thoughtful. Will put on the CD tonite.

Thanks all for heads-up on this book.

14. Greetings My Little Finnish Mate,
    My copy has to come from America.... only ordered three days ago! And yours maybe???? is coming up from Germany a lot closer! however, I'm a GOOD sport... If yours arrives first I'll post you up a CAN OF VB! "Victorian Bitter" better known to us Aussies as "Mothers Milk".
    Keep in Touch My Little Finnish Mate!

Mowerpants:meh:

15. OK, Big Brother Mowerpants

There was this guy from Brisbane Australia
    who was a good sport, but made a failure
    He took part to a "race"
    and had to send the whole case
    ´cause his Little Finnish Mate got his a week earlier!

R2

PS. If I loose, I´ll post You a can of "Karhu",
    that´s my favorite domestic brew.

16. Not only can he play bass!
    He's a Bleeding POET too!

The Bet's ON!:D

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I bought it a few weeks ago, it's a very nice book BUT if you've been subscribing to Bass Player magazine you may already have a lot of the material in your back issues (esp. the player profiles).

It's a nice book to keep "on the side" as it's not really a coherent instructional method.

18. FatAndy

FatAndy

Feb 21, 2011
    Sunshine Coast.
    I just got my copy, and it's great, but it's sure as hell making me wish that I could read all those high notes on the ledger lines (and play the freakin' things in tune). It also says that Real Books are no good if you want to play Bop, so I guess I'll just stick to listening to bop, then......great book!