Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Hebert

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by oliebrice, Feb 14, 2006.

1. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    Just found these MP3s on John Hebert's website. Gorgeous playing. Check out 'Gloria's Step'.

2. I tried hard to find it but you'll have to post the link for me to get there.

3. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    sorry, forgot the link! here you go...
    http://johnhebert.com/Sounds.html

4. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    listening to these again this morning I really, really like the playing. Anyone reccomend any records with him on? His discography looks long and hard to get hold of over here, so particular reccomendations would be handy.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The new Andrew Hill record...

6. Reuben

Reuben

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Michael Attias - Renku (Playscape Records)

sax-bass-drums trio with lots of slammin' playing from John.

7. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
  8. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    thanks, i'll have a look for it.

9. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    reminds me of prof Bill Koehler's tracks that used to be available here

10. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006

eh....he's obviously a good player but his concept is not for me. I like to hear the changes.

I prefer Dave Holland's "One's All" for solo bass; that to me is the pinnacle of the medium.

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I'm pretty sure he's hearing the changes, he just may not be hearing them the same way you are.
    I've heard John play in a number of different settings and I enjoy both his sound and his ideas.
    There's a nice review that monte did of a performance of Dave Snidero's band when they were touring, John was playing with that group.

12. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    do you mean Dave Pietro?

13. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Ooooo, glad to see this post. Hebert is definitely one of my favorites. He's on some of guitarist Pete McCann's albums and on In The Land of Art, a Frank Carlberg masterpiece if I remember correctly. Verrrry good stuff.

14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    My bad, Dave PIETRO, JIM Snidero. But yes, Dave Pietro, the Stevie Wonder record...