John Illsley.....anyone ?_

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassarch, Jan 12, 2005.

1. bassarch

Jul 24, 2001
    I find it quite weird and annoying to see not many people here talk about him( Dire Straits bass player ) .just in 3 topics
    His lines sound so simple at first but when you try to play them you realize the complicated timing and perfect groove within the most simple and purest form..which I think is the ideal role of bass in a rock band :Being there but being hidden(not soundwise,he has a huge sound in the mix ),but as an just have to explore to find it ..IMO
    To me he is one of the best bass players in the rock history What do you guys think ? ...why underrate him that much ?
  2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Strong, simple, good tone.
    Good groove player.
  3. very cool lines
    i learnt a lot of them when i was just first starting to play bass, i think DS songs are good for beginners to learn, the bass is easy to hear in the mix and the lines encourage good technique and groove, without being too fancy or complicated

just my 2cents :smug:
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I learnt playing along Dire Straits. I love the band and the bass fits perfectly, solid and simple with just a bit of spice.
    Nowadays John Illsley is a reknowned painter.

Little trivia : All Dire Straits songs were played by John Illsley but one. Which was it ?
  5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    His basslines aren't as simple as one would think...He performed his function very well..Nothing wrong with a supportive role if you can do it as well as John...I think he played Wals for a while, no?

6. OK I'll bite on the trivia question pretty much knowing John played on 'Money for Nothing'...but I will guess Sting.
  7. Great player, love his work. Brothers in Arms has awesome bass parts.
  8. Jazz Ad

Wrong song, wrong bassist, right album. :)
    Sting only did vocals on Money for Nothing.
    Try again ?

9. Well, I wanna say Walk of Life cause to me, that doesnt match his normal style. As to who it could be , I dunno
  10. Jazz Ad

Nope. John Illsley played on walk of life. :)
    Think VERY different style or more accurately, different technique.
  11. John Illsley on On The Night! It sucks! ;)
    We don't speak of it, but he's a very good player, one of the reason why DS was so good IMHO!
    Not to mention that Guitar player! lol

12. Jazz Ad

Yeah that Knopfler guy isn't bad.
  13. After extensive Googling, it appears that no other than Tony Levin played on the track 'One World'.
  14. Jazz Ad

We have a winner.
    Everyone's favorite bald bassist layed a killer slappy line on this song.
    There. You win a pic of a girl with a bass.
  15. bassarch

Jul 24, 2001
    hey nice to hear all john illsley fans here :)

one world sounded always different to my ears with that slap line , Now I understand why . thx .)

before I learned playing bass I used to listen to guitars of Mark all the time.But after learning bass DS was smt else to me all of a sudden.
    Now after playing bass for 10+ years I am returning back to him ,I see that we all have a lot to learn from him.

My all time favourite bassline of him is ''Once upon a time in the west''...very simple line,solid as a rock ..very groovy with a bizarre timing here and there
    what is yours ?
  16. bassarch

Jul 24, 2001
    Thats exactly what I think of him.He sounds so very simple at first.But when you dig the idea....he has that brilliant touch!

And as far as I can remember he always played and recorded with his white Fender with flatwounds, no _?
  17. thanks for the pic! I enjoyed it!

I love Communique. Great songs in the 'old school' Dire Straits tradition. Check out Lady Writer.

Oh yeah, and the bass line to ''Once upon a time in the west'' is pretty cool with it's subtle funkiness.
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I prefer guitar george... I mean Mark Knopfler. A guitarist I jam with a lot claims he's a big influence, but he sounds nothing like him. He gets amazing "string like" sounds out of his use of a volume pedal. John's a rock solid bassist though. I enjoy Pick Withers just because of his name/crazy face/really cool fill on Sultans of Swing. That's the kind of "drum solo" I like. The not 3 minutes long, Tom Sawyer esque, huge fill that is flashy, but it isn't just drums. Good band, I've been meaning to get back into listening to them.
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    P.S. I love that Mark Knopfler did the Princess Bride soundtrack. It's kinda funny, but it fits his style really well.
  20. how about the 'drum solo' on the end of News on Communique? Admittedly, we used to laugh at that one.