Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Juzeck basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jaybo, Mar 14, 2002.

1. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    That may be spelled wrong and I know it's not much to go on but I was wondering if any of you have any kind of information on these basses especially how much they are worth or sell for new. The bass I play was made in Prague, I'm not sure of a year on it because it's the one I use in school and it was there before my teacher started teaching so no one really knows.

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Do a search in dbsection for john juzek. Worth could be anywhere from 3-9k depending on year, condition, sound.

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    When I was considering an alleged Juzek I found a post from Barrie Kolstein you may find interesting:

If yours has an ebony diamond on the back at the shoulders, I have a further message regarding those, as that's what mine has.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Juzek also made plywood basses (I own one) which are worth less then the carved ones (no kidding) but are a great example of how good a well made plywood bass can sound.

Bob Gollihur will probably blush with embarassment when I mention that he tipped me off to this very bass which he thought was carved after he played it :cool:

5. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    I'll look for the diamond inlay as soon as I get back from spring break. Something I'm still confused about is my bass is a 1/2 size? It does have the brownish amber varnish as mentioned of the instruments from Prague. I'm not sure if the back is highly figured maple or flamed maple, it appears to be flamed but it's not what i would call "striking" and it has a rounded back. This bass sounds really good and I play next to a 3/4 bass and I never feel drowned out. Thanks for the info guys