1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD John Kallas '66 Fender Jazz Bass Replica - Just like the real thing!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by swpyne, Apr 9, 2018.

1. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Price:
    $1875.00
    Strings:
    John Kallas builds the best Jazz Bass replicas out there. I have owned two and they are simply amazing. Very resonant with lot's of delicious vintage jazz bass tone.

This has been my favorite, first call jazz bass for years but these days I'm just not playing 4 string so I have decided to let it go.

The neck was originally finished in nitro but I found that to feel sticky on my left hand so I had Pat Wilkins refinish the neck in high gloss poly. The body is finished in a beautiful faded Lake Placid Blue nitro with one small impression of note on the back. Otherwise the bass is in perfect condition.

The pickups are vintage style Duncan J's and the tuners are a beautiful aged nickel which really enhances the "vintage" look of this instrument IMO.

John's earlier builds sported a Fender headstock logo like this one. I was never sure how he got away with it but he did work side by side with Leo Fender in the '70s so he may have acquired some kind of waiver, I really don't know. But just to be clear, this is not a Fender bass. It's a replica built with skill and love by an amazing luthier.

It will ship in a beautiful Fender vintage style hard shell case finished in brown tolex. It also includes both pickup and bridge covers with screws.

$1875.00 shipped and insured in the CONUS

In an effort to keep this listing clean please open a private conversation with any questions or offers. I would prefer to sell outright but will consider trade offers of equal, or lesser value (+ cash) for 34" fretted or fretless 5 string basses. Thanks for looking!

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    bassboysam, Sithian, kobass and 15 others like this.
  2. RobertUI

RobertUI Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    This is beautiful!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. sweet !

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yowza that's hot. drool

Pbassmanca likes this.
  5. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    I always regretted selling this bass back to you Swpyne. I wish I were in a position to buy it back. glwts.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  6. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Me too! I figured you might make a comment to that end. It's a wonderful instrument as we both know.

Datsgor likes this.
  7. basmansam

basmansam

Feb 11, 2005
    Vermont
    Nice bass. What's it weigh?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  8. matt thompson

matt thompson Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Chucktown
    Killer basses! John does amazing work and my ‘66 is the go to jazz

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    It weighs in at 9 pounds 3.4 ounces on my digital scale.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  10. Very nice drool

11. bludog

bludog

Apr 3, 2012
    Brooklyn 11217
    I own one of these and it's without a doubt one of the best playing/feeling basses I've ever played. John's work is amazing. The way he customizes the neck is incredible. GLWTS! Somebody grab this while you can.

12. Quasar Wave

Quasar Wave

Apr 2, 2018
  13. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Now officially "On Hold" for Quasar Wave. Thanks for all the interest and positive comments!

14. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Now it looks like the "buyer" may be unable to come up with the funds. As a result I'm putting this back up on the market. Mostly interested in a cash sale but will entertain trade or trade + cash offers. Please open a private conversation with me if you have an offer or any questions.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  15. Looks fantastic!!!

GLWTS!

16. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Payment received, and SOLD!