1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

John Kallas Appreciation/Owners club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sneha1965, Jul 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Anyone have a John Kallas bass? Maybe he's restored one of yours? Here's a chance to post your John Kallas basses or maybe one he's brought back from the dead. I'll start things off with my Kallas 57 RI with jazz width neck.

57Fullbody.

57Closeup.

IMG_0192.

ScreenShot2012-10-09at63420PM.

2. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    It started out being a black '85 medium scale precision. John first tried chemical strippers. The finished just giggled and got a little gooey. He had to sand the original finish off before spraying the burgundy. He said the grain was so tight, it was almost like it didn't have any. It's finished with a thin coat of poly:

02-KHpbass_zps4fb11447.

He thought it was worthy of wearing its father's last name so: stripped the headstock, applied the appropriate decal, and covered it with clear nitro:

KHBMPbassHeadshot_zps54528d5c.

He cut and dyed (to bring out the red hue) a custom guard from the nitro blank I sent:

12-KHBMPbass_zps58d9a45c.

He fine tuned & polished the frets, installed a SPB-1, shielded the cavities, redid the electronics with solid-shaft CTS pots & NOS tone cap, drilled the stock knobs to fit, installed the bridge cover (not shown), and gave it a perfect setup. It doesn't say it on the headstock, but it's a Kallas, for sure:

11-KHBMPbass_zps75e36770.

Thanks again, John! :cool:

NigelD, 9mmMike and sneha1965 like this.
  3. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Nice, John! I remember you posting this in a different thread. Gave me all kinds of burgundy mist GAS.

4. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    The only one I have on me now is a live pic playing a Kallas 66 Jazz. I'll post more full shots when I get back home this week.

5-Paces-Friday-5-18-12-3-L.

bluesdogblues and sneha1965 like this.
  5. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Nice! Was this one of the 66 jazzes he make or something of yours he worked on ?

6. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    This was a bass from a few years ago. I think it was a custom build for someone and it ended up going through a few buyers. For me, it was a gift from a very generous friend!

7. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    I don't own a John K bass but I am appreciative of the work I've seen displayed on this site and the amount of knowledge he shares with us.

AltGrendel likes this.
  8. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I sent John a Jaguar Special HB (with an excellent neck!), pickguard blank, a couple of Thunderbuckers and he sent me back a ThunderJag:

KenHsq-jag-11.

I enjoyed going down Gibson memory lane with it for a while, but it rocked too hard for the praise music I do. Last I heard, it is living down in Florida with Carlo (Cataldo Basses) and the gators... ;)

PWRL and sneha1965 like this.
  9. Subscribed!

Flaked Beans likes this.
  10. sneha1965 likes this.
  11. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    This thread is well deserved and long overdue!

I'm in with my 1966 Fender Jazz that John restored. I also hit John up to check out my amps crossover at one point too.

I will own a custom Kallas one of these days, but in the mean time here's my '66.

Before:
    P1010613.

After
    HA66JB-04.

This is one of those basses by which all others are judged!

12. That 66 is amazing every time i see it! I have john doing almost exactly the same to my 64. I am really excited seeing your results. Mine was stripped like yours and abused a little along the way. Congrats on a having a bass most of us dream about.

13. Subscribed.

Flaked Beans likes this.
  14. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    This was my '66 P before I sent it to John.

IMG_1096.
    IMG_1097.

This is after his immaculate restoration.

IMG_1416.
    IMG_1420.

Before:
    stuart-alderfill-01-2.

After:
    stuart-alderfill-07-2.

John is awesome!

9mmMike and sneha1965 like this.
  15. Stuart
    The color is amazing and it's incredible how well the routed hole for the j pup was filled. Congratulations.

16. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Me too, either!

But John (and D Bopp!) has been very patient and gracious with my question and requests for advice over the years. I hope I am fortunate enough to have a "K-Bass" someday!!

17. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Thanks man! Can't wait to see your 64, I'm sure it will be a beauty!

18. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Don't have one;
    totally admire his work.

19. Fretlessbaby

Fretlessbaby Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    This ^ :D. Subbed

20. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Same here. I've also emailed him before and he always responds and is very courteous.