1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

John Kallas Appreciation/Owners club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sneha1965, Jul 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    Nice! Is John restoring/rebuilding this bass for you or just doing the body? Looking forward to some "completed" pictures!

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    it's a complete bass that's a clone of my original seafoam green '62 p bass ( i used all USA Fender parts to build it with the exception of a Seymour Duncan vintage p bass pickup and gotoh resolite reverse tuning keys):
    Wouter-09. WouterPbass-04.

3. 9mmMike

Beautiful!
    If you ever do one in Firemist Gold, maybe something from the early 70's, you should post pics! :)

4. SwansonEricJohn

SwansonEricJohn Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Denver
    1975 Precision I got for $600 at some shop in NJ. The pickup (not original) was problematic. The poly finish on the neck had become brittle and sharp and would cut your fingers if you weren't careful. The white finish on the body had turned puke-yellow from the years of cigarette smoke in bars (probably). It played wonderfully but needed help. John took the whole thing apart, put in a better pickup, at my request put one of those "I took the sunburst off" kind of amber finishes - see also Greg Ridley/John Wetton. We were lucky that the wood grain was nice - you never know with those Fenders that they sprayed tons of paint on.

John has the Midas touch and everything he's ever worked on for me has come out of his shop "like butter" - I've never had anybody do such perfect setups on my basses. And, when I was going through my divorce and feeling generally miserable, John would call and chat me through it. Awesome dude. Miss you, John! IMG_0850 copy.

grrg63, Shawn Luckman, Joshua and 5 others like this.
  5. SwansonEricJohn

SwansonEricJohn Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Denver
    1967 Showman that I bought from John. Again, completely restored. It's my favorite amp I own (only play it in the living room when buddies come over). When I picked it up from John it was almost "as-new" like it was 1967 and I walked into a store and bought it. Perfect. 67Showman-01 copy.

sneha1965, grrg63, Joshua and 2 others like this.
  6. 9mmMike

Cool. I have one with John now that is sort of the opposite. It was a stripped 3tsb that I had a tort guard and those cool knobs that Wetton used. It is getting a do-over with nice shiny nitro.
    Here is the "before":
    jwd01.JPG

SwansonEricJohn and sneha1965 like this.
  7. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Can't wait to see how this one comes out.

9mmMike likes this.
  8. 9mmMike

Coming home soon......
    JK16.

9. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    That is gorgeous. What color is the body?

9mmMike likes this.
  10. 9mmMike

Thanks! It is firemist gold. I will take some more pics when it comes home. John outdid himself on this one!!

11. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I'd say! :)

9mmMike likes this.
  12. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    That looks great, Mike! I've always admired that color.

9mmMike likes this.
  13. Jannosch

Jannosch

Jun 30, 2015
    Germany
    Absolutely amazing!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

9mmMike likes this.
  14. 9mmMike

Another shot as it creeps along towards my house.......
    JK12.