1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

John Kallas Appreciation/Owners club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sneha1965, Jul 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Supporting Member

May 4, 2002
    New Mexico
    Last year John fixed the neck on my 62 Jazz. This neck hadn't moved or needed to be adjusted in 30 years until last year when the neck laid back and was too straight with no relief and no tension on the trussrod. John put it through a couple a heat treatments and it's back to perfect again. I am very grateful.

2. Great stories so far. Makes me wonder how is it that no one thought of doing a thread like this for John before? Anyway better late than never!

sneha1965 likes this.
  3. nagarjuna

nagarjuna

Dec 10, 2006
    The Gunks, NY
    Subscribed, John is the best.

4. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    That looks amazing!

5. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Thanks, Mark! John already had a lot of irons in the fire (he stays busy for good reason) when it arrived, so it took a while. It was worth the wait. :cool:

I second Mastermold's notion. I've seen individual posts of John's work(s), but never an appreciation thread before this one. He deserves his due. :)

Mastermold likes this.
  6. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Agreed. For those who don't know about JK hopefully will get turned on to the goodness.

7. +1! Subbed to fuel the GAS

8. Not an owner of a Kallas, would love to be someday (if he would just get rid of that pesky 25% upcharge for lefty!) but I'd like to chime in that in the cases where I've PM'ed John for advice on this or that he's always been quick to respond and very courteous!

9. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    sneha1965 likes this.
  10. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Great! Thanks for sharing.

11. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Add another preacher to the quality of John's work.

I bought a CIJ '75 RI a couple of years ago. When I got it, I noticed that it looked like the black paint on the headstock had clouded the decal a bit (you can see the bottom of the F is a bit less cloudy). Also, because of the black on black, you couldn't read the "Jazz Bass" portion of the decal unless you looked really closely, at the right angle/light. John re shot the headstock with black and added a new logo, one that I think looks a million times better. He did a fantastic job!

Before:

DSC03619-1.

After:
    DSC03799-1.

I'm also having him build me a Stingray body, to assemble with a nearly completely OEM collection of pre EB Stingray components I've been saving up for 20 years. It's been a long time coming, but once he's done, I have no doubt it will be worth it. I'll post pics once it's finished. In the meantime, here's a picture of the headstock:

DBMMneck-27.

sneha1965 likes this.
  12. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
  13. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Shouldn't have looked at this thread.;-)

All great examples but those Jags are amazing!!

14. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    its still not done:eek::D

in the time that you hooked up that neck plate for me, ive gone through 2 dan ransom bodies, sold both and picked up an original 79 body off of ebay!:bag:

15. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    If I had an irresistible urge to own another bass with a Jag-shaped body, I'd go for one of John's "Jazzmasters":

2-jazzmasterbasses-01_zpsf2933eb1.

The reverse blue burst finish on the three pickup Jag is cool, but the single coil precision type pickups don't float my boat.

16. SwansonEricJohn

SwansonEricJohn Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Denver
    I'm a huge fan, too. Not to brown-nose (I'm visiting him tomorrow!), but I've had basses set up by a dozen people over the years and his setups are nothing less than perfect; the best I've ever had. His restoration work on my '75 Precision bass was flawless. He turned a "beater" of a bass into my dream bass. Next up - a custom-made '55 P Bass with the largest possible neck west of the Mississippi on it (I've been playing a lot of upright bass recently!)

17. SwansonEricJohn

SwansonEricJohn Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Denver
    My 1975 P Bass before and after. The paint was falling off and the neck finish was flaking and sharp. Amber-tinted clear coat applied and the neck was sanded and re-sprayed. Some pickup issues fixed as well.

Attached Files:

sneha1965 likes this.
  18. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    The full Lafawnda...cell phone pic.

fullbodyshot.

ScarfFace, Mastermold and sneha1965 like this.
  19. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Sexy!

20. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Over the top!