1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

John Kallas Appreciation/Owners club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sneha1965, Jul 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    An early 60's era Kallas jazz bass is on top of my "basses to get" list. I was looking through a book about fender basses and saw one with a pale green color, it had obviously faded over the years. I wonder if John or someone here might have some idea what color it was originally, Im thinking maybe one of the silver or perhaps blue-ish hues. At any rate it had that lovely faded patina look we love about old fenders, I think that would be my color choice if it were possible to recreate it. Love that faded LPB spencer, very cool. Bet it sounds amazing too.

2. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    John, good to see you stopping by here.

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    It could be faded, Ice Blue Metallic or Teal Green. Or ever a faded, Silver Metallic.

4. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    What's the name of the book?

5. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Geez, I forget off hand, I was at half price books and saw it there. It was one of the many" history of fender guitars" that are out there. In retrospect I should have bought it just for reference.

6. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Thanks, I wish they would have gave the original color in the book, maybe the author wasnt sure either so they didnt say.

7. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Was this the book?

The Fender Bass An Illustrated History.

49-330755.

8. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I think there were both guitars and basses in this book, unless there is a photo of a pale green pre CBS jazz in that one

9. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    IMG_1765.JPG Was this the bass?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    bluesblaster likes this.
  10. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    That looks about the right color, It might be the same bass but it wasnt in a group shot like this. That almost looks like sea foam to me ( already have one of those) this one was more a medium flat green color , definitly a fade of some sort with that lovely patina only time and exposure produces. Lighting also changes the tone of the color to some degree too.

thanks for posting those pics, thats a nice little group there.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  11. @sneha: Don't forget feeding the dog.

12. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    LOL! That's in another hour or so.

FenderOli likes this.
  13. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    now that I see the larger photo here I'd say that was it, maybe its faded sherwood green , did they even offer that back then? at any rate whatever it is .... I Like It.

14. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Hard to say though I would guess Sea Foam Green. It looks like a flat color.

15. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Well I ran across an ad on Reverb.com for an old fender mustang ('66) and it had faded to that flat pale green color, the original color was , drum roll please................ Daphne blue, mystery solved

16. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Subbed

17. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    I have two of John's pedals. They are great. But WOW !!!!
    I know what my next build will be. Stunning work.

Tbone76 likes this.
  18. Just dropping in here to say that I was a John's house a couple weeks ago, helping me out with a tube amp. He was a totally cool dude, showed me his avatar bass that he is rightly very proud of. Love his work. Thanks, John!

Tbone76 and Stevorebob like this.
  19. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Well...... got the itch and sent another pile-o-bass parts to John. Stay tuned......

sneha1965 and Tbone76 like this.
  20. Not exactly a John Kallas custom or refin, but I am currently in possession of John's former 1973 Fender Precision. It too has passed through a couple of hands on it's way to me. It sounds and plays most awesomely.

DSCF3951.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015