1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

John Kallas Appreciation/Owners club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sneha1965, Jul 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Also a set of Aggy's in there with a grounding plate. John took the shine off of the pup covers for me too. Also lots of hardware fixes, like hardware-store intonation screws and a who-knows-what strap pin. Stuff that gets out of whack after 40+ years.

sneha1965 likes this.
  2. 9mmMike

Ya. Beauties from Hipshot. So nice.

3. Jannosch

Jannosch

Jun 30, 2015
    Germany
    Hi folks,

thought finally it's time to share TB and push this thread with my first post.

Got my first Kallas Bass (a '57 P-Bass) last summer and want to show it to you! Please admire:

BILD3892.
    JansPbass-09.

Plays like butter, sounds like hell. The best P-Bass I ever played and heard!

Besides this piece of art I own a couple of Kallas pedals that I really love:

Kallas Sunn 200S
    Kallas Barbershop 1590
    Kallas Mini Bass Fuzz
    Kallas Phasor II Clone

BILD3886.
    Now only the music has to reach the same quality (still working on it ;-))))

4. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Damn you went all out! :thumbsup:

Can you tell me a little about that Sunn pedal?

Stumbo likes this.
  5. Jannosch

Jannosch

Jun 30, 2015
    Germany
    As you probably know it's an emulation of a Sunn200S (obviously:))

If you 're using a solid state amp, this pedal gives you a complete different possibility to filter your sound (I assume every Kallas Amp simulation works like that). Even if you dial bass and treble at a (very low) equal amount and have the same volume as in bypass, you hear a change in sound (very slightly).

The treble and bass knob interact really very similar to a tube amp. Therefore you have to work with the pedal a while to see (or better hear) what is going on. You have to try to forget the terms bass and treble absolutely. Give your ears a chance to realize what's happening and work from that point on.

I absolutely love this little fellow!!!

sneha1965 and Stumbo like this.
  6. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    That's a sweet P! It seems you've been talking to John for a while... :cool:

7. Jannosch

Jannosch

Jun 30, 2015
    Germany
    Well, what should I say...???

8. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Actually, I have not explored any of John's pedals, but love the tone of Sunn amps. Thanks for the run down.

BTW, I have the cousin to your bass except mine has a jazz width nut.

IMG_0938.JPG

9. 9mmMike

Always like seeing that one!

Jannosch and sneha1965 like this.
  10. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    I'm interested in a John K build, but no posts here in over a year. Does anyone have more recent experience?

11. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    I am playing my Kallas 57 RI in my current band. I love the build quality, pickup tone, and jazz profile neck. All three of those are critical to me.

CA938FDA-6825-42B2-ADCC-99631D740852.

12. bludog

bludog

Apr 3, 2012
    Brooklyn 11217
    I can't speak about the build process but I can confirm that I still love my 66' Jazz. One of the best necks I've ever played.

13. matt thompson

matt thompson Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Chucktown
    My '66 jazz is still my #1 - John's a great guy that helped me out a ton while we had a couple problems arise (F'ing USPS...)

I think if you're looking for a vintage feeling/sounding bass John is the man!

14. 9mmMike

A build or a resto? I am still rocking my JK resto/refin. It is just awesome. I did wait a long time but it was well worth it. If you are in a hurry, I would advise looking for one that is already done. Like I said though, I am thrilled with mine. All three of them.
    Send him a PM on this board. He is a straight-shooter and will let you know what's up.
    archies02.
    IMG_2396.JPG

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  15. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Happy New Year!

02E34B75-9EA0-4541-B25A-7A874EF3D8A7.

16. wouter12

wouter12

Apr 13, 2009
    Colorado
    I just requested a new build for a 62 P bass...... :) I am incredibly impressed by John's background, his knowledge of the instrument and his workmanship. It is a precious gift to us bass players to have John create and repair our instruments.

9mmMike, Stumbo, jazzbo58 and 2 others like this.
  17. Jannosch

Jannosch

Jun 30, 2015
    Germany
    You'll be happy with your ordered bass and as you already mentioned, John is a luck for all bassplayers that still have ears and don't jump on a bandwagon concerning new trends or people that form their opinion by reading and not hearing and trusting a life of experience.
    John's basses and pedals are unique!

9mmMike and Stumbo like this.
  18. 9mmMike

A wise move.

19. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Awesome news! Cant wait to see how it comes out.

9mmMike likes this.
  20. There was a sunburst with blocks 66 jazz replica that sold here not too long ago. I wish I had snagged that. These are great looking instruments!